Boiler/Thermal Heat Store Combination

Hi As our old cental heating gas boiler is well past it, I have been thinking of replacing it and the hot water cylinder with a boiler/heat bank combination. We live in a 3 bed-semi with just the wife and I plus the grandson (aged 4) at weekends. Well I have just seen a Biasi Garda M96.28SM/B boiler on sale for =A3340. My questions are:-

  1. Is it worth buying this boiler?

  1. Has it been reliable?

  2. Would it work with a thermal store/heat bank?

  1. Which thermal store/heat bank would be best suited?

A lot of questions, but I thought you guys would know the answers.

Regards.

Reply to
gthehut

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 00:24:33 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote this:-

Pass on questions 1 and 2.

According to it is a combination boiler. It would work, but either the store would only be used for the heating system or the hot water part of the boiler would not be used (assuming the manufacturers permit this). It is also possible to use the boiler to supply hot water to taps in a remote location (for example the kitchen) and use the store for other taps.

The first question is do you have hard water? If the answer is yes then a heat bank is highly desirable.

What is best suited depends on your particular criteria. The main thing is to get a well insulated one.

Also provide for at least solar heating of the store and possibly other sources of heating it.

Reply to
David Hansen

Yes if you're doing the house up to sell quickly and not interested in long-term reliability and cost-of-ownership.

Errr, I'll go and see [fx: Tardis engines] ...

Probably, but why pair a cheapo boiler with an upmarket DHW system?

Dunno. You don't get B&Q el-cheapo TS/HBs

Assuming neither you, your SWMBO nor grandson has or is planning to take up an obsesssive-compulsive washing disorder, I'd guess a decent combi would suit your requirements better. Worcester-Bosch and Vaillant do well-made kit at reasonable prices.

I suggest you take a look at the wiki, starting with

Ed's choosing a boiler FAQ:

John Stumbles

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll just look for a decent combi. Regards

Reply to
gthehut