Boiler scrappage scheme - what?

I've been cold called about his by some firm with Energy in their name about this scheme. It might be valid in my case so I said yes send someone to tell me about it and arranged a time. I then get a call back asking if my wife will be present - No she will be out working - Oh, but she needs to be there.

What's that in aid of ? I'm not being sexist or anything, but why in hell does my wife have to be there when I am discussing technical matters about a boiler? I told them in no uncertain terms that was unjustifiable and to piss off.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

In message , robgraham writes

Because statistically they are more likely to persuade you to buy if both parties are present, and it also save them asking who owns the house - and the old boiler.

Reply to
bert

Women are statistically far more likely to be on the green and loony side of opinion than men.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because it will be a high pressure sales pitch and the salesman will be that every high pressure sales technique in the book but bugger all real technical information. They want your wife to be there so you can't say "I'll have to talk to the wife" before you sign on the dotted line.

I bet they still turn up or pester you for an appointment when yoru wife will be present. Wonder how long you can string 'em along, make an appointment but she has unexpectedly had to go out (upstairs...) make another but you have had to go out, another no one in...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Unless you have a seriously ancient boiler the Boiler Scrappage probably won't apply. The information is freely available on the web, both what rating/category boilers qualify and what your boilers rating/category is. The later from the SEDBUK site:

Dave Liquorice

When I was in direct sales we needed to have what was called the 'buying committee'. When that was the something like a church hall it meant literally the buying committee.

When we were talking about the home it meant: ? husband or wife, in the case of old people son or daughter.

The reason is simple, if it takes three hours to show one person your product, and how long will that person take telling their partner? The answer about five minutes.

Therefore as a salesperson you just spent three hours of your life educating one person who will not buy your product because the normal line will be "very nice but I need to talk to my husband/wife about it".

It is not sexist is just practical. I have done sales sittings where one person has gone off to do something else during the meeting, they only got re-evolved when it came to signing the paperwork .

Reply to
Gary

Sadly all too true;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

It's because they want you to sign on the dotted line there and then. A common excuse for not being able to do so, is that it needs two signatures for a joint account.

If you're not too nervous, and want a laugh, book an appointment and then tell the salesman your wife isn't there. This happened to me once, and he got very aggressive.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

This scheme (now closed)?

GB

As far as I can see, the government's boiler scrappage has ended, so basically companies are simply now quoting their price for a boiler change, using smoke and mirrors. Basically it's 'What will you charge me for so-and-so boiler'. All the rest is bullshit. As for my wife being present, I'd just say, we decide who makes what decisions, not you. Do you want my money or not.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

And because all these wonderful schemes have so little written material you have to listen to a salesman.

Put it in writing and people can look over the details and make informed decisions.

Reply to
mogga

Especially as they have circumvented the cooling-off period on cold sales by arranging a meeting.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

That as well. Avoid like one would avoid Ebola!

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I thought the so-called door-step selling regulations in the new form introduced in 2008[1] gave a 7 day cooling-off period even if the meeting had been requested by the consumer[2]. The explanatory memorandum certainly pointed that way as it included "These Regulations provide a consumer with the right to cancel a contract for goods or services made during a visit by a trader, whether unsolicited or solicited, to the consumer's home, place of work, the home of another person, or on an excursion organised by the trader away from his business premises. " and also "These Regulations will (under the vires of the 2007 Act and section 2(2) of the 1972 Act) revoke the current Regulations; implement the requirements of the Directive in relation to contracts concluded as a result of unsolicited visits; extend those requirements, including the cooling off period and cancellation rights to contracts made during solicited visits by traders. "

[1] The Cancellation of Contracts made in a Consumer's Home or Place of Work etc Regulations 2008 (SI 2008/1816) [2] For sales over £35, and excluding perishable stuff, emergency goods, some financial stuff like mortages which are regulated by other statutes etc.
Reply to
Robin

Me too.

Reply to
Huge

In article , Andy Cap writes

That sentence is waaaaay too long, my standard reply starts with f*ck and ends with off, I've never given money to anyone who has cold called me and plan to die (many years hence) before even thinking about breaking that same fundamental rule.

Reply to
fred

Quite right too. Very peculiar request!

I never deal with cold callers myself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have to say I have no recollection of ever hearing of those regulations before.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Sorry don't buy this one. It could be so in some cases but these days people have other things to do. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

quite widely publicised at the time as closing the loophole in the previous Directive/legislation to which to referred.

And as they say, ignorance of the law is no excuse :)

Or even as they used to say, Ignorantia juris non excusat

Reply to
Robin