boiler replacement

After reading some of the posts here, I was wondering if everyone was of the opinion that Its not worth getting British gas to replace a boiler. Are they really that bad!!! Before I hire them to do the job.

Thanks

Reply to
doobydoobydo

Since they usually sub-contract to local heating firms I don't see that workmanship should be an issue, but it tends to be more expensive as BG will want a cut. My only experience of using BG to install a full GCH system in a

1900 semi was that the workmanship was fine (two fitters from a local central heating firm in a BG van and wearing BG overalls) but the system was badly designed (as I found out later). Boiler replacement can easily cost around £1300 so it is wise to get several estimates, ideally from local firms with good reputations (which will be the same ones used by BG), and in your case make sure that the choice of boiler is right from all the options available.
Reply to
Handy

is power, or so they say.

Reply to
Handy

Do not go anywhere near British gas, they are completely incompetant. They couldnt even repair my heating controls, and I am currently still chasing them to put right something they did wrong!

They will charge you more, show you no customer service or respect and generally just mess you around.

Just tye > "doobydoobydo" wrote:

Reply to
Thomarse

The message from "doobydoobydo" contains these words:

No, don't. They're truly dire. Every contact I've ever had with BG has been an umitigated disaster.

Reply to
Guy King

I very much doubt you'd get a figure anywhere near that from BG - in fact you could more than double it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

but that *is* an issue because the customer has lost control of a key issue, the selection of the installer. Going direct, assuming you succeed in getting any local installer to show an interest, you can at least form an opinion.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

That FAQ is 20 years out of date.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Why do you want to replace the boiler? What CH system do you have now? Do you have cold tank and cylinder? Power shower pump? Good mains pressure? It is worth re-assessing your requirements while at this stage.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)"

Agreed. I was thinking of a firm other than BG. BG charge up to £400 just to do a power flush, which means they sub-contract it and add their take, so it costs double.

Reply to
Handy

Then write a new one and submit it for approval.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Check the cost of the boiler, add £300-£400 for a straightforward replacement (or more if it's complicated). Get a list of local CORGIs from their website and ring round. Tell them what you're willing to pay, and invite them to drop round if they're interested. They all tell you they wouldn't cross the road for that sort of money, but a nice local job on a quiet day is better than nothing, and they all have more quiet days than they're prepared to admit.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Will you please eff off as you are a complete plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

More proof you are all mouth and trousers - as if any more was needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

boiler has started not fireing up intermittedly, pilot light works.

Boiler is 16 years old 'Regular boiler' ie not combi Cylinder Tank in loft two I think one smaller .overflow?? power shower chalky water (limescale) Don't know about water pressure we are in felpham bognor regis West sussex

9 rads Bungalow No trv attached at mo
Reply to
doobydoobydo

Will you please eff off as you are a complete plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Go for a high flow hot water combi. Test the mains water pressure. time a bucket from the cold mains tap. What is the litres per minute.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Water *pressure* is measured in litres per minute now is it?

Graham.

Reply to
Graham

If you say so. Duh!