Boiler replacement

HI, Im replacing my 25 year old baxi open vent boiler any good boilers to replace only open vent boilers suite me.

Reply to
Boiler man

No. You'll need a condensing boiler, and I don't think it's possible to make an open flued one of those.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

'Open Vent' Andrew, not 'Open Flued' (I had to read twice mind you).

Vaillant EcoMaxPro Glowworm Hxi Worcester must also do one, either a Greenstar or a Junior I guess.

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

Keston Celcius 25 can run on a vented system (or at least could about 4 years ago when I installed mine, although my system is a sealed one).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

General help in the Boiler Choice FAQ. See below.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

hi At last i had my keston c25 installed.BUT........... The neighbours not complaining about the plume-they have a vaillant ecomax and the plume goes into my alleyway i dont mind coz my boiler plume goes in to tthere garden. they are saying your flue is so noisy and we cant open our window bla bla,i said did i make the boiler noisy? the y said no so i said wat the hell can i do? to tell you the truth it sounds like a whistle. any solutions. the boiler is super efficient my thermostat is only on 20. the radiators are nice and warm. thanks for the help anyway.

Reply to
Boiler man

[...]

My c25 doesn't plume anywhere near as much as some other condensing boilers I've seen. OTOH, I mostly run it at only 45C flow temp, as that's high enough to heat the house unless it's well below freezing outside and the heating has been off. It would be more likely to plume at a higher temperature.

Where's the flue relative to your boundary and their window?

You could extend the flue up high. Might just need to change the fitting on the end. Mine comes out through the wall horizontally, and I have a 135º bend on it to direct the plume up and away from the house at an angle of 45º.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There's one down the road from me that has a long pipe going up the wall (I suspect the boiler is in the basement) and it sounds almost like an organ pipe - presumably the length is such as to resonate.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Thanks. I'll do that lucky the flue is only50mm plastic and cheap. I like the look of the plume its cosy anyway thanks for the info. My old boiler was G rated sedbuk.

Many thanks

Reply to
Boiler man

You must use muPVC pipe and fittings. The same size pipe and fittings are available as ABS (and maybe uPVC), which must not be used. The flue must always slope back towards the boiler. You aren't supposed to use knuckle elbows, although if the pipe run is very short, I can't imagine it matters too much. See the installation instructions for precise details. If you substantially change the layout or length, you should get the boiler mixture re-adjusted. About once every 6 months, I pour a pint or two of water down the flue, to wash away any debris which has collected at the bottom of the combustion chamber, having had this block the condensate drain a couple of times when it built up (hasn't happened since washing through the flue in this way). So you might want to keep the end of the flue sufficiently accessible for this.

The other thing I would do if commissioning a newly installed Keston is to leave a hosepipe trickling into the flue for an hour or so, and check none of the flue and condensate pipework is leaking. If the real condensate leaks, it will rapidly wreck things like the boiler casing. In my case, the flue spigot was supplied leaking, but I caught it before it did any serious harm, and rebuilt it. This flue water trickle test would have caught it earlier during commissioning.

People do route the flue up disused chimney stacks so the plume comes out the pot. Mine were too far away for the effort to be worth it, unfortunately.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Correct me if I'm wrong, but condensing boilers aren't supposed to discharge plume over a neighbour's boundary (s/b 2m from boundary shouldn't it)? This is an additional regulation to the CORGI ones showing terminal positions for regular FF boilers?

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

The requirement is not for the gas regs (600mm to a wall and 1200mm to another teriminal). It's for 2 Jags office who do not want air-space wars to break out. [.... my boiler's being given an ASBO! ...] so IIRC 2.5m is want they want. However this is in the direction of the plume so if a 45 degree plume diverter is used then the 90 degree distance is only 1.75m (or thereabouts).

Reply to
Ed Sirett