Boiler Recommendations (Not Keston Please!)

I bought a Vokera (Italian) system boiler that comes with timer built in. I'm very pleased with it. Avoid combi boilers. No boiler=3Dno heat or hot water At least with a system boiler you have an immersion heater as backup of hot water. Paid about =A31000 to have it fitted but I was converting to mains pressure hot water tank at the time.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

You poor sod.

If you buy a quality boiler that is not the case - not a Vokera. You can have an in-line instant electric heater to do a shower if the combi fails. So not an issue.

And a power shower pump, noise and a cylinder taking up masses of space, and leaks eventually, etc.

You poor sod. Have you seen what they do?

also have to pay form an annual service too, just to store water.

Best he goes for a high flow quality combi with an inline electric instant heater for a shower a DHW at one or two taps.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thank you all for your time and useful advice. Keston are visiting once more tomorrow and I won't get my hopes up too much for a fix. I'll be asking plenty of questions about the flue in anticipation of migrating to a Worcester-Bosch. I'll also ask a local installer (Blackheath Boilers) for a quote and use them in preference to BG.

Regards

James.

Reply to
James.Brown

In my experience (which is limited, I'm not a plumber) the usual reason for losing your heating is that the mains has gone off, so the pump won't work.

This means that the immersion heater won't go either...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

but you probably have a day's worth of hot water stored up there at that point.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Once up to temperature most houses do not leak heat at that rate. Only when -3C outside they will. During most of the heating season they do not. That is where thermal storage (buffer) shines. Store heat and drip feed it into the house. Then the boiler operates at optimum hydraulic conditions when re-heating the buffer.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel