Boiler quote - is it reasonable

I've just had my first quote for a boiler replacemet/upgrade. Obviously I'll be getting a couple more but this one is off the back of a reliable recommendation so I'd be happy to use him if the price is in the right ball park.

We currently have a gravity HW/pumped CH system, no valves, zones or anything. The HW cylinder has packed up and I want to relocate the boiler. The loft is the only real solution but unfortunately space is very limited and to get a boiler and CW tanks up there is not really viable so it's either a combi (plumber wasn't keen on these - I don't want to start a combi pros and cons thread!!) or a system boiler.

Quote is

Disconnect existing boiler, cylinder and CW tank and remove for disposal Supply Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i system boiler, relocate from kitchen to loft and install complete with frost thermostat and auto by pass. Supply and fit 180ltr unvented cylinder in place of existing with new immersion Install new automatic controls to allow separate control of HW and heating with 7 day programmable room thermostat with optimum start

Price £3650 + VAT

I live in Kingston in Surrey (so down south pricing !) but I was hoping the whole lot would be a bit less than this price - was I being a bit optomistic ?

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Absolute rip-off, I would do it like many others for half or less.

Reply to
Brian

I wouldn't be so quick to condemn it. There's approaching 2000 quid's worth of parts in there, what with a boiler, unvented cylinder, zone valves, pipework, fittings, controllers and thermostats.

If you could fit that lot for 1825, then you wouldn't have much left over the labour.

Boiler 621 Flue 54 Megaflo CL210 845 Control pack ~100 Pipe (remember loft installation) 150 Fittings/sundries 100

--------------- Total 1870

That leaves your "half price" quote as you paying him 45 pounds, doing all the labour free and not covering overheads.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I don't think its a rip off

You're off your head if you think you could do it properly for half or less.

Maybe you could do it for Jim for less than half but add a few hundred for your time for the travelling from where you live thus saving Jim about a grand and a half.

Somehow I don't think it will happen .Do you?

Reply to
IAN CAPEL

Not a ripoff, especially for the area (your installer has to live somewhere, too!).

Google this group for discussions of pros and cons of combis (including Ed's FAQ at makewrite) and decide whether it's a worthwhile cheaper option (basically if you're a small househould and don't mind the shower drooping when someone turns on the kitchen hot tap).

Reply to
John Stumbles