Boiler query (oil burning)

Is it possible for an oil burning boiler to become so inefficient that it uses up far more oil than it should?

I ask because I had an oil delivery yesterday (1200 litres) and, on the level indicator tube on the tank, marked the oil level. Since yesterday the boiler has been on twice and the level has gone down an inch, so at that rate our 1200 litres will last all of two weeks ......... this is NOT normal!

I'm wondering though if the level in the indicator tube on the tank is just settling - it IS slow to respond when the tank is being *filled*, but it's not THAT slow.

I was also wondering if there was the possibility of a leak, either from the tank or in the pipe to the house, but surely I would be able to smell oil if that was the case?

all advice welcome. :)

Thanks

Reply to
phil

yes.

It there black smoke from the flue? Get it serviced. Mention the problem to the serviceman. He will do an combustion test on the boiler. Oil boilers should be serviced once a year. You can get away with leaving a good gas boiler for a few years, not an oiler.

Of course check the guages and if there is a leak.

Reply to
IMM

If it was burning it that quickly, you'd get a *huge* amount of smoke. You'd know about it.

Most likely a combination of settling and temperature - oil contracts a lot as it gets colder.

Possibly, have you traced the route of the oil pipe, looking for signs of a leak?

Reply to
Grunff

Is there a vent or filler pipe on the top of the tank where you can use a stick to dip the tank?

The problem with the indicator tubes is that it is quite possible for the connection to tank to get bunged up. (in my limited experience)

You should also check the tank itself for leaks especially if it is a rusty old steel one.

With the price of oil as it is.....

Reply to
Michael Chare

Well, there's certainly no smoke whatsoever coming from the flue.

Here's hoping. :)

Yup, as far as I can tell (the pipe only travels about 20 feet, but it may be going under the tarmac drive for about half of that so hard to be sure). Surely though I'd smell it if it was leaking, even if it was under the tarmac?

Reply to
phil

Nope, no smoke at all.

Ta, will do.

Reply to
phil

I wouldn't count on smelling it.

I think what I'd do is take a really good look around the tank, and if all looks well, just keep an eye on it over the next couple of days. If it drops another inch, you have a leak.

Reply to
Grunff

Or a diesel thief.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

YES but there is usually a good reason which becomes obvious on looking

Or the baffles (retarders) have become dislodged and the heat is going straight out of the boiler. NO-one has been working on it lately have they? What size is your tank and have you worked out what an inch or 2.5cm variation of level means in terms of volume?

A possibility but the oil is unlikely to have been "that" warm

If the leak is underground it might simply collect under a membrane or a sealed surface such as compacted tarmac. With tarmac you may find it appears much later and destroys the tarmac around the leak:-(

Whatever you do don't involve the EA unneccessarily unless you want to watch a group of clowns in big wellies remove vast quantities of ground and transport it away at (your) vast expense when all that is required is to allow it (the kerosine) to evaporate as it will do from wherever they dump it. Now if you are near a borehole or controlled water source its a different matter.

Try turning off the boiler, marking the level of the sight gauge, If the tank isolation valve is between tank and the gauge you can shut it and any loss will be obvious within a short period as the gauge level will drop faily quickly. I'm assuming you may have a standard configuration with tank outlet valve followed by sight tube, filter and supply pipe to boiler in that order.

Reply to
John

That would be normal for us over a week at this time of year.

Temperature and air in the oil will affect the volume. Remember it's been sploshed into the tank from the delivery hose. I've noticed a similar effect just after a delivery. I hope the air is introduced after the meter...

The shape of the tank will also affect how fast the level drops even for the same consumption. Most plastic tanks are narrower at the top and bottom than the middle.

Possibly not depending on where a leak is. I'd monitor it for the next few days. If it continues to fall at that rate start to panic you don't want to be wasting the stuff at current prices. Out of interest what did you pay?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

leak ?

Reply to
G&M

Its pretty certain you would smell a leak unless deep underground. If the boiler starts to burn inefficiently you would smell unburned fuel coming out of the chimney and would probably see blackening around the mouth of the chimney. When its calm have a good sniff. Most likely there's an earwig in the gauge pipe almost blocking it. They seem to love the stuff!

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

If you suspect a leak do something about it immediately, a rotten tank lost 200 ltrs locally recently, last reports were costs over 1,000,000 pounds are likely to be involved in just tracing where the oil has gone, water co. cannot drill deep enough, let alone the recovery of the oil and loss of fresh water supplies due to contamination....

Reply to
Badger