Boiler probs

Page 4 of 6

Exactly, and certainly not earth shattering.

I understand all that I need to on that subject.

I didn't think that you would understand that one.

18 in fact. Improvements have been made to it in terms of insulation in order of economic considerations. These do not put knee deep insulation in the loft or double glazing at the top of the list. Don't bother to argue this point because I have done the calculations in detail using several different approaches and sets of data.

No of course not. The right way would be to encourage people to improve their properties through education and financial incentive based on sound scientific, economic and practical considerations; not legislating because of political dogma and international treaties.

Single glazing does not automatically equate with draughty. There is nothing wrong with double glazing per sec, apart from the cheap plastic stuff looking ugly. In terms of energy conservation for the whole house and return on investment, it is not at the top of the list.
The stupid aspect is when people hermetically seal their homes, do nothing about the walls and then wonder why there is mould growing on the wallpaper and water running down the walls.. We have a thread on this subject every couple of weeks.

No, I just see a few under construction.

No I don't.

That is one of the arguments being presented for it. The reality is that it won't do that, nor will it make any noticable difference to injuries. It is simply a control game for the sake of control, entirely in character for your pugilistic pal.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

A true intellectual like me already knows these things.

in
It cost no more to achieve a super low energy house than any other crap building regs house. That has been proven time and time again.

Incompetence is incompetence.

IMM wrote:

That is entirely irrelevant. We went down this route some time ago, and when I pointed out to you the necessaity of breathing, you retorted that even more expensive technology would be able to warm up the incoming air requied for ventilation using nothing more than the power of your farts as I recall.
There is no upper limit to insulation. There is an upper limit to the *benefit derived from huge excesses of insulation* in e.g. the loft when you haven't draughtproofed the doors...

Ah., Right. So instead of maybe adapting or living in these slighltly energy inefficient homes, we are goind to pourt diesle into bulldoszer to knock em down, then pouyr gas into power statins to profdoduce the energy efficient materials to build new ones with!
It all makes sense! By the time we have replaced em all we will all be broke and the world will be so warm we will need the insulation to stay cool!
DO look up cots benefit anaylis, and star applying it to things like Co2 production, theres a dear chap...No? To hard for you? Go back to knee jerk silly eco-leftist thinking then. But shut up first.

No, they are as usual being fed a load of half truths and downright codswallop by the medai and the politicians, not to menyion GrreenPiss and Frankly Outright EEjuts.

Gosh. Will they? The major benefit of DG is that is stops draughts. Its about time they DID the energy calcs an realised that DG is a complete con, and what they actually need is cavity wall insulation..and underfloor insulation.

upper
You have been at the Xmas port. Now stop it.

with
"slighltly energy inefficient homes"??? You have to be joking...

There are currently three million people in the UK living in 1.5 million homes officially classified as unfit, and this situation is unlikely to improve in the foreseeable future. 2.5 million homes suffer from severe damp, and the cost of remedying these conditions is estimated between 46 and 70 billion pounds.
House conditions were found to contribute to "chronic chest disease", hypothermia and digestive condition.
The above was some of the findings of a report commissioned by the Joseph Rowntree Organisation published by the National Housing Forum in 1996. The situation has changed little since then. In fact the UK (pop 60 million) last year built only 3 times as many homes as Ireland (pop 3.4 million). The situation is chronic, and the land issue is at the base of all the ills. <<<<

What other way is ther to do it?

It didn't break the Japanese!

Good point! It also keeps you cool.

In the medium or long term all analysis has pointed to eco homes being the way forward.

"EEjuts"? Are Irish too. You on the same boat to Mars as Maxie.

value of

They will.

Double glazing improves comfort condition. It reduces the cold spot near windows. In fact if you are replacing windows, use low "e" or triple glazed. They you can use the room all year around with having to move to the centre of the house (people do this naturally).

writes

Unfortunately, the chances are that buyers wouldn't believe it, and would perceive the value that you do.
How much is 500 per year worth anyway?
--
Richard Faulkner

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:46:18 +0000, Richard Faulkner wrote:

Round these parts there are many flats in low rise blocks, these have management service charges which can run at anything up to 2000 year or be as low as a few hundred. [1]
So it's necessary to make some adjustment to the purchase price on account of the _mandatory_ running costs. I use 15:1. So I would reckon on 500 a year being worth 7.5k on/off the price.
[1] There are a good number of factors involved with this wide variation and one of which is simply how good the managing agents are.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

15 years purchase, or a 6.6% return.
I'm not convinced that this is achievable for offering merely the chance of a 500 per year saving, (in fact, I am certain that it is not achievable, in general).
I do this for a living and, in fact, I can just see the buyers laughing at me, when I tell them that the reason that one of 2 apparently identical houses is 7,500 more than the other, is because they can save 500 per year on bills.
--
Richard Faulkner

writes

account
Savings in heating costs? What do you base your assumptions on. Sorry you "certainty" on?

Have you tried? Have you had this experience? I gather not and you are just guessing.
Tell them this house has virtually no heating bills making it super warm in winter and very cool in summer (it works both ways), and summers are getting hotter.
Also tell them that there is less to go wrong, which means less expensive service bills, as the heating system is just a background system. Tell them insulation never goes wrong and no service bills for it either.
Tell them the comfort levels are brilliant as their are no cold spots in winter or hot spots in summer. Then see what their reaction is.
If you came across such a situation it is clear you wouldn't have a clue how to highlight the virtues of such a house and sell it properly. God help anyone hiring you to sell such a house.

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:26:20 +0000, IMM wrote:

The above post is IMHO unecesarily abusive. I'm sure that RF has an extremely good idea of what really is important to buyers and sellers of houses. I suspect that the precise details of how the house is heated and how energy efficient it is might make a low 30th on the wish list (if that).
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Thank you for the support Ed.
I have been doing this for 16 years, sell between 100 & 150 houses per year, and have actually educated one, or two, local developers/speculators into providing what people will pay the most money for, without resistance. Some still think they know best.
New Contemporary Kitchen White bathroom suite with shower and nice simple tiling Stripped wooden floors, or reasonable quality carpet (10 per yd fitted) Nice newly decorated in plain pastel shades internal. Paint as appropriate outside. Cast iron Fireplaces Retain original windows where possible. Replace with White UPVC if not. New C/H only if not already fitted. New boiler if appropriate. Damp proof course and timbers guarantee Simple landscaping of gardens - gravel, railway sleepers, few shrubs, window boxes, hanging baskets Overhaul roof. provide schedules of work & guarantees for work done as appropriate.
Dont bother with the extra expense of insulation, condensing boilers etc.
All to do with presentation.
Buyers attach little, or no, value to potential savings on energy bills, and have a tendency not to believe any claims, even if true.
These are all factual recommendations for my local area, modified over the years as tastes and demands change. people who do not take my advice do not make as much money, or sell as quickly, as those who do.
--
Richard Faulkner

????

= totally out-of-date and naff in five years time.

You forgot 'laminated' flooring on solid floors, in place of underlay + carpet thereby increasing the heatloss through the floor by a significant %.

What the hell for if the chimney is no good ?.

Try that on a listed building.

Covered in dioxin and other peoples crap - unless new, if which case they are not railway sleepers, just lumps of wood, rather like estate agents brains.

You will after 2005 - just wait for the next building regs revisions.

So buyers are stupid ?

Always buy the worst house in the best area, and avoid the 'best' house in the worst area. Never believe what an estate agent tells you.

--
Andrew

You have been looking at those birds on the property TV progs.

Superficial bullshit you mean. If two identical houses were for sale with exactly the above features you say sells in your area, and one had 500 a year heating bills and one was 30, and was so well insulated it also kept the house cool in summer, and had an "eco" tag, which one do you think they would go for?
I have impression you wouldn't know how to sell a house like that because you couldn't recognise the benefits of such a house. Well not from what you have said here anyway. I don't think you have ever come across such a house, as they are so rare. You may have, and didn't recognise the benefits.

If backed up by bills and a surveyors report confirming warm in winter cool in summer too? Please???
There is some truth in what you say. If say a single 1980s house in the middle of a street was uprated to triple glazing, 300 mm of cellulous insulation and cavity wall insulation, and make pretty well air tight. A house like that, that looks similar to all others in the road most likely may go for more if the agent sold it on its running economy, naturally warm and cool aspects, but not a great amount.
An individual selfbuilt eco house that looks very different and attrcative would most definitely command more than the large 1930s, expensive to run, draughty 5 bedroom jobs near by.

In 10 years time the situation will probably be quite different as insulation values are hyped right up in new homes, and with so many being built too. I know many people who do not even look at house over 20 years old when buying, as they are so cold, draughty and expensive to run. Many people have experienced modern homes that are cheapish to run and just plain warmer, to old ones, and they are reluctant to buy old again. Besides all the structural problems old houses can give.

writes

or
500 a

chance
you
save
in
getting
expensive
them
how
It is not abusive at all.

I think it clear he hasn't. It was clear he didn't know the benefits and how to sell the benefits. If I hired him, I would "tell" him how to sell it. These guys are locked into a ser angle of viewing matters.

writes

You would not need to tell me how to sell it. If your house has it, I will sell its features and benefits, whatever they are. I sell what I am given to sell, (should I choose to accept it <g>), to the best of my ability, and to the best of its ability.
What I am saying is that, if you added these features to your house to help it to sell, you wasted your money. If you added them to save yourself 500 per year, and they do that, you got a good deal.
I am also saying that a saving of 500 per annum per year - i.e. the benefit, is almost neither here nor there, in the things which excite and motivate people to buy houses.
I dont know what you spent on your insulation and other eco friendly improvements, so it is a bit difficult to quantify what you are talking about. You could actually be making a mega mountain out of a little mole hill for all I know, in a troll like manner, as they say <g>
All the best
--
Richard Faulkner

That is the Property Ladder mentality. Tart up, make a buck on some sucker and get out. I have reservations on TV programmes telling people to property developers. I see non on how to be an electrician or a lawyer. Many have tried this property lark not knowing much about it and have lost about 10 years worth of salary, so 10 years work down the drain.

Most people who add these energy features, do it save running cost money. They know there is an x year return on capital, in many cases they were replacing defecting parts of the house anyway and to upgrade to high energy levels is not that expensive.

Many people can just afford the mortgage, and when the 300 gas bill comes in, it near cripples them. Paying an extra 10K on a house, which put not that much on the mortgage repayments, which saves 500 a year on bills, is attractive. It is just not sold that way.

Some people strip out their lofts and install 100mm of glass fibre. The extra expensive to 300mm of Rockwool is not that great to what benefits they get in comfort and reduced bills. These people are not even considering selling homes in the near future. It is not a matter of spending to ramp up values to sell next week.
In the long term, people will benefit, and if they do sell in 10 years time, a more educated buyer will be around. As in the e.g., I gave, any buyer viewing a sound, excellent order, 100% 1930s house would not pay full whack as they know a houses now have insulation in the lofts and double glazing. They know these items are beneficial. They would knock the seller down, at least to the price of the upgrades.
People want the minimum of the current regs. When they are hypes right up in less than 2 years time, when people are familiar with those running costs and comfort levels they will again knock down homes that don't cut it, just like they now with a 100% 1930s house.

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 02:00:20 +0000, Richard Faulkner wrote:

I agree, when it comes to something as improbable as 500 on/off the bills (which if it were true would be an enourmous dwelling anyway - where 7.5k would be lost in the noise on the price of 1.n million round here.) And 7.5k might be the sort of capital outlay required to acheive a 500 a year saving in _that_ sort of home.
With management charges and buy-to-let purchasers a degree of hard reckoning comes into play on prices.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
writes

account
Not everyone lives in rip-off London.

See my post on the benefits of a eco house and house they should be highlighted to potential buyers.

one
price.
With bills to prove it and a surveyors report that indicates high insulation levels that confirm that, they will have super low bills, people will believe it. Luckily eco houses tend to look differently than the standard developer house. Just the individual looks alone attract buyers. The tag "eco" also attracts buyers too. It is not the 1970s any more. Buyers in general are a lot more discerning as many of the property TV shows indicate.

er..err...500?

So ask to see the gas bills - it's not difficult to prove how energy- efficient a house is.
Hopefully one day, once the council tax becomes even more hated than the poll tax (which personally I preferred) property taxes will be based on an energy audit. A better insulated property with a low-NOX condensing boiler would give a big discount. Those of you with your B&Q flat pack 'kitchens' and smeggy fridges, but zilch insulation will end up subsidising me - brilliant.
--
Andrew

one
one