Boiler, position of feed and return?

I'm looking to buy a 20Kw, wall mounted , condensing, gas boiler, balanced flue through bungalow roof. I would prefer to have the feed, return and gas pipes located at the bottom of the boiler as it's more convenient for connecting to the valve and airing cupboard cylinder which is located behind the wall. A corgi registered friend who lives across the road says that all the boilers he knows about have the feed and return located at the top of the boiler. Does anyone know of a condensing boiler where the feed and return are located at the bottom? or is there a good reason why they should be located at the top? e.g, in the case of pump failure hot water rises? Regards Don

Reply to
Donwill

|!I'm looking to buy a 20Kw, wall mounted , condensing, gas boiler, balanced |!flue through bungalow roof. |!I would prefer to have the feed, return and gas pipes located at the bottom |!of the boiler as it's more convenient for connecting to the valve and airing |!cupboard cylinder which is located behind the wall. |!A corgi registered friend who lives across the road says that all the |!boilers he knows about have the feed and return located at the top of the |!boiler. |!Does anyone know of a condensing boiler where the feed and return are |!located at the bottom? or is there a good reason why they should be located |!at the top? e.g, in the case of pump failure hot water rises?

All the Baxi ones have *all* pipes in a row at the bottom. AFAIK most are the same. Go on line and look at the manufacturers web sites, they have all the information there.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Any even slightly knowlegable CORGI will be able to answer that question. Your CORGI friend would appear to be completely clueless, and I suggest you avoid him.

Of all the condensing boilers I looked at when I was choosing one to install, I don't actually recall any which had the pipework anywhere other than at the bottom.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There are loads on the market. One wonders where your friend has been. Many of the German makes or those derived from them have bottom entry. Have a look on the Discounted Heating website. They have a comprehensive range with descriptions and links to manufacturer sites. Usually you can grab the installation guide.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Our Alpha CD32C has *all* pipes at the bottom. If he's CORGI then he needs a refresher course.

John

Reply to
John.

Perhaps your CORGI-mate could suggest a boiler where the pipe connections *are* actually at the top. I'm on nodding terms with various models each by Vaillant, Worcester-Bosch, Sime, and Ideal - all of which have bottom connections. In fact the W-B has provision to permit the pipes to approach from the top too, if necessary.

David

Reply to
Lobster

My Ideal Isar has all pipes at the bottom (with an optional piping frame that allows the boiler to be stood off the wall by a couple of inches if you want to run pipes up behind the boiler)

Reply to
John Rumm

I wonder how up to date the membership/experience/training of the 'friend' is.

Most boilers now seem to have connections at the bottom with an optional stand off frame for routing pipes behind and up if needed.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Many thanks to you all for your illuminating contributions, I shall proceed with due care and caution :-) Best regards Mot

Reply to
Donwill