Boiler pilot light purging?

Well that took ages. It was 3C last night so I decided the garage heati= ng may soon be required for the parrots (I have it set to 5C on their th= ermostat). So I went to light the boiler's pilot light (which otherwise= uses =A310 a month of gas!), but it wouldn't light after trying for a f= ew minutes. I opened up the jet chamber, and the igniter was sparking f= ine and when holding the green button, I could hear gas, but not smell i= t. I can only assume there was a huge amount of air in the line. Why? = It is now lit after another 10 minutes of holding the green button.

P.S. the gas was off at the main lever in the meter box all summer.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

The parrots were trying to kill you... it seems they failed... this time!

Reply to
John Rumm

One did once try to short a wall light. He caused a small BANG! which e= choed in the glass shade when he managed to get the live to touch the st= eel bracket and flew off rapidly.

-- =

Dancing cheektocheek is really a form of floor play.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

A boiler that old will be wasting more than 10 quid of gas a month when actually working...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Takes a while to pay for the replacement of it earlier than necessary. = That argument gets used by people for buying new efficient cars.

-- =

A foursome of ladies was standing on a tee when a streaker ran across th= e fairway in front of them. One lady asks, "Is that Dick Green?" Another replied, "No, I think it's just the reflection off the grass."

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Apart from heating the garage for the parrots, it isn't used very much. = And won't be once I get round to renovating the garage so it's better i= nsulated.

-- =

A foursome of ladies was standing on a tee when a streaker ran across th= e fairway in front of them. One lady asks, "Is that Dick Green?" Another replied, "No, I think it's just the reflection off the grass."

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

and saving £40 amonth on servicing and replacement costs.

Reply to
Capitol

Exactly. I've had 15 years of no replacing or servicing. All I've paid= out for is the gas, and a stopcock in the loft which was weeping (nothi= ng to do with the boiler).

-- =

A budget is just a method of worrying before you spend money, as well as= afterwards.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Exactly. I've had 15 years of no replacing or servicing. All I've paid out for is the gas, and a stopcock in the loft which was weeping (nothing to do with the boiler).

So you can fit your own boiler, but not pack the gland on a stopcock. PMSL!

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

It was an old stopcock and the replacement was =A33. Why bother to repa= ir something I can get brand new for =A33?

-- =

The world's largest fruit are giant pumpkins. The world record is 1061l= bs (481.3 kg).

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

FFS, use quotefix or something similar.

Reply to
Richard

It was an old stopcock and the replacement was ?3. Why bother to repair something I can get brand new for ?3?

Because the old one was quality and would have outlived your new 3 quid piece of cheap shit. Do you know what PTFE tape is?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Quality solid brass.

Yes. But as the tap was very old, I preferred not to have another bit o= f it fail later.

-- =

Reading while sunbathing makes you well red.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I've been telling him this for a decade. He thinks I'm unusual in wanti= ng indents.

-- =

A DC-10 had come in a little hot and thus had an exceedingly long roll o= ut after touching down. San Jose Tower Noted: "American 751, make a hard right turn at the end o= f the runway, if you are able. If you are not able, take the Guadalupe exit off Highway 101, make a rig= ht at the lights, and return to the airport."

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Why do only a very few OE users have this problem? Is it a very old ver= sion without a bug fix? I think he might still be using Windows XP.

-- =

According to a British medical journal, men reduce their chances of havi= ng a fatal heart attack by [about] 36% if they have at least 100 orgasms= a year.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Dave Plowman (News) scribbled

It's not wasted if it sees off the oxygen thief.

Reply to
Jonno

A Firefox update yesterday screwed me up good and proper. It was weird. This could be better, if not never mind.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

That's better. Good boy.

Reply to
Richard

Thank you for bringing my attention to this problem, The Firefox update removed Quotefix.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Are you the sort to use PTFE tape on compression fittings?

Reply to
Fredxxx