Boiler Pilot Blows Out

The pilot light on my 25yr old, gloworm, wall mounted boiler has been continually blowing out this winter. Well naturally it blew out last night as it was bloody windy here in Notts! It has always been a bit prone to this as the flue exits to a pretty draughty corridor between two houses. It seems to be worse than ever this year. Has anybody had a similar problem and found a solution? (short of resiting the boiler!)

Thanks, hope everyone escaped without storm damage!

Keith

Reply to
Keith Oliver

If the pilot light is smaller than spec it may well blow out more easily. Dunno your model, but they're usually easy enough to remove and clean.

Something like cellulose thinners or car carburettor cleaner will usually shift any deposits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I removed the jet, cleaned and blew throught it. The pilot flame is now much stonger and bluer.

Thanks Dave.

I also took the opportunity to remove the flue cover and inspect the flue from inside. The flue cover had some sealant deposits around the edges, should I replace this, if so with what?

Thank all..

Reply to
Keith Oliver

If it does need cleaning, it's probably a good indication the whole boiler may need cleaning and a service. Has it been done recently?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Seems to be a standard problem with Gloworms of this age, like mine, but new pilot assemblies are available on the web. There's a lot of asbestos fibre around the housing too !

Reply to
john