Boiler oil additives

I think I can probably guess what people are likely to say about this, but I'll ask anyway - does anyone rate oil additives for central heating oil such as:

Keefiedee

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Keefiedee saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Reply to
Huge

dirty injectors, I'd guess the dilution in a household oil tank puts it in the homeopathy field...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah! but you will feel so much better thinking it is being cleaned!

I prefer using magnets. It aligns the molecules so that they pass though the jets in an orderly manner rather than risk getting stuck by some going sideways.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Groan - we all know who is going to make a fool of himself now!

Reply to
cynic

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

The one thing that does work on diesel injectors is ATF; but even so, adding it to a fuel oil tank would be pricey - cheaper just to service the boiler.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It happens that Dave Plowman (News) formulated :

If we are talking petrol injectors then the stuff I have used twice certainly does work. My car came very close to failing its MOT on emmisions last year and the inspector suggested injector cleaner would probably sort it. I plonked some STP in the tank, not really expecting much from it and the MPG shot up by almost 1/3. Its recommended as

3,000 service, so I used it again just before its most recent MOT. This time there was some improvement in mpg, but not nearly so marked as the previous year. Apart from the mpg and emissions, the engine was much perkier. It also easily sailed through the emissions test last month. It has had no other work done on it other than and oil and oil filter change, so the only difference was the STP.

Obviously if there was no problem with your injectors, there would be no improvement, but I'm convinced enough to use it regularly now and it certainly more than pays for itself in fuel savings. Other owners of the same marque are reporting similar results, so it is not just me.

It is only supposed to be a mix of ATF fluid and parrafin, so I suppose you could mix your own.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield