boiler: need new oil fired boiler

Excellent information. So, an inside boiler it is.

Reply to
Huge

Oil combis tend to have higher flow rates than gas combis for the equiv kW. They hold more hot water in the water jacket and this is used as a thermal store for the instant DHW side giving higher flowrates. Many hold 30 to 50 litres of hot water.

You have mains pressure showers. Most will fill a bath quickly enough too. If the DHW side fits the bill get an external oil combi. As I say, all is outside in an insulated box. The way to go. No smell, no nosie, "safer" and more space.

I have seen the odd small insulated boxes or "sheds" with gas combis in and the pipes to the house via 110mm drain pipes filled with insulation.

Many servicemen like the external boilers as they don't have to worry about making a mess inside a house.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please fit and external combi inside. Please fit one with a flue in your bedroom. You get a hit from that.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No, just connect it. The makers instructions usually tells you.

All are balanced. It is just the siting of the flue. Many can be extended.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Condensing boilers use less fuel. Flues are extendable - see makers blurb.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That's interesting. If plumbing a new house would you always fit a combi? I like the idea you only heat what you need but OTOH the advantage of the cylinder is that you can heat with the immersion, which might be cheaper than oil if you have economy 7.

Reply to
Stephen

If you are mixing fuels to heat then a thermal store/heat bank is the way to do it. You can heat the house & DHW via electricity or oil.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel