Boiler: mechanical to electronic control?

Hi

I have a Vokera Compact combi boiler installed for central heating and hot water

There's an integral mechanical (clock) on/off timer which I find very fiddly to set and not terribly accurate

Does anyone know if there's any way this can be converted to electronic timing?

TIA

Reply to
Flynno

When you say mechanical, I presume it is an electric clock where you set things by moving pegs or whatever? But switches the boiler electrically?

(Some very old boilers did have clockwork timers, so no electricity involved at all)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, Dave - as you describe, an electric clock set by (tiny) moving pegs which controls the boiler electrically

Flynno

Reply to
Flynno

Do you want?

a. A digital replacement for the existing clock

or

b. A separate (non integral) clock?

Reply to
ARW

Hi Adam

I suppose either would do, but a definite preference for

a. A digital replacement for the existing clock

Thanks!

Reply to
Flynno

Yes - simples :)

Set the boiler local control to manual override (always on) - then replace the main house stat with a programmer/stat. You have now made the internal clock redundant.

Or wire a local programmer into the boiler in series with the main house stat if the wiring is accessible.

Reply to
Tim Watts

And consider the option of something fancier like a NEST or one of the many other cool programmers with remote control.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Are there any digital timers that don't require a degree in 1980s VCR programming to set? Everything I've seen has a terrible interface of a limited number of buttons that you have to press in obscure sequences to configure. While the mechanical timers aren't accurate, they are at least easy to use.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

For the latter, you would probably need a Vokera specific part, so have a look at their web site. However it would be easy to add for example a programmable thermostat to act as both timer and stat. The Horstman Centaur from screwfix is not a bad choice.

Reply to
John Rumm

NEST.

If you don't mind taking an "Apple" approach of "it knows best".

Reply to
Tim Watts

How long do those take to pay back their cost?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have just purchased a Heatmiser Smartstat to do pretty much what you describe for a Worcester Bosch boiler.

The installation instructions this the boiler explain how the thermostat should be connected. Quite possibly the Vokera installation manual can also be downloaded and will provide the same information.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Slightly OT, but when I put in a new Vaillant system a couple of years ago I foolishly thought that their "electronic timer" upgrade would be better than the standard mechanical clock which they ship with.

It was only after installation that I discovered that while you can have three different programmes on a 7 day timer, you can only have one "on" period and one "off" period a day. So you can't have it on for breakfast, off in the day, and on again in the evening without manual switching.

After a year I went back to the mechanical switch.

Reply to
newshound

I find mechanical timers very accurate. However finding a mains driven digital thermostat that has .25 degrees of backlash has so far eluded me.

Reply to
Capitol

I'm in it more for the convenience and comfort - but I guess it depends on your usage pattern.

Reply to
Tim Watts

My first system here - installed in the late '70s - had an electronic programmer which would do two on and offs per day. Made by Honeywell. The boiler was what was known as a basic electrics type, so you selected what controls you wanted yourself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)