Boiler Maintenance Contracts

We had a Worcester Bosch combi boiler installed nearly 2 years ago. The initial cost included 2 years warrantee and servicing. This runs out in Jan next year and they are asking £195/year to renew the maintenance contract. Generally on things like washing machines I never take out those extended warrantees but I'm a bit undecided about the boiler. I can take the cover of myself and vacuum the dust out but that's about all. It's nice to have the peace of mind but £195 seems a bit steep to me (especially at this time of year when money is short).

I'd just welcome some other opinions please.

Ta, John

Reply to
Nodge

Sounds high to me. For that money I would expect the whole heating system to be covered.

I would get a quote for an annual service from a recommended local gas fitter. Say £75-£100.

Then if your boiler breaks down every 4 years (unlikely?) you'd have to pay around £400 per time before you've paid more than your maintenance contract would have cost.

Of course, if you're always short of cash you won't have the £400 when it comes down to it, that would have been spent!

Alternatively - is breakdown insurance available on boilers like it is on white goods?

Reply to
PM

I have just taken out entire CH cover, boiler, rads, pipes, HW cyl, pump etc etc with Powergen for £13 pm (£156 per annum). Other gas / electricity providers also offer a similar cover. Think British gas now offer a service where they will fix your problem for a fixed fee.

Reply to
diy-newby