Boiler keeps going out

Hi all,

Glowworm Hideaway FF boiler; over the last few days (I know, I know) it keeps losing the main jets, leaving only the pilot light on. On restarting it manually, it comes on just fine every time. It stays on for as long as 48 hours or as little as 12 hours.

Pipes aren't frozen, water pressure seems OK, gas pressure seems OK (but haven't tested either numerically). Boiler is located in a cellar, which has a radiator, and also a frost thermostat.

I'm likely going to call a boiler man anyway since I'm not confident enough to pull it apart myself, but I'd appreciate any pointers as to what it might be in advance.

Thanks in advance, Richard.

Reply to
Richard

gas valve inlet solenoid sticking closed would be my guess.

RT

Reply to
[news]

Sorry to be dim, but if it's sticking closed, why does it open with a restart?

R.

Reply to
Richard

dunno, mine did. then it started opening with an almighty crack which could be heard throughout the house. it failed about 2 weeks later.

I'm not a real gas service engineer (brother in law is) twas just a guess :-)

RT

Reply to
[news]

The supplier puts something in the gas to seal leaks in thei pipework. Sometimes this gets into the diaphragm of your gas valve an sticks it shut. Manufacturers don't like us stripping gas valves apar and cleaning them, but sometimes it works. Mostly it means a new ga valve

-- Paul Barker

Reply to
Paul Barker