Boiler installed - not Corgi Registered - Builder dispute

Hi, I would be very grateful if anyone can help - can't believe this is happening :( . I've put the situation into points below to keep things as simple as possible.

  1. Builder as part of general works agrees to install boiler (condensing). I request installation to be CORGI certified.

  1. Boiler installed. Boiler was wired up to temporary workmans electrical supply (having a rewire done as well by qualifed electrician

- not through builder). Gas and water connected. Rads cleaned through with chemical cleaner. All this done while I have been at work.

  1. Builder says that the boiler is almost ready and that he has tested it, but that he can't notify CORGI until the boiler has a dedicated and permanant electrical spur.

  1. I got my electrican to put a spur in and connect the boiler to the spur. Boiler is now off, but all pipes are still connected.

  2. Seperate dispute occurs between myself and the builder over a number of jobs he has done in the listing of general works agreed.

  1. Builder wants a certain amount of money (though I don't owe him anything) otherwise he says that he won't notify CORGI.

My probem is how can I get the installation registered with CORGI as the builder won't notify them? Any ideas what I should do? I'm now not even sure if the installation was done by my builder through a CORGI registered fitter, though the builder said it was. I have only his word on this. My new boiler in the meanwhile remains unused, especially as winter approaches.

Should I notify CORGI of whats happended? or should I tell my builder to notify CORGI of the installation or I will? Soneone please help.... will be very grateful.

Kind regards

D.

Reply to
DB

Ask CORGI for advice?

Phil Anthropist

I would say don't panic!

Sort out builder separately.

Find local CORGI gas person (preferably by recommendation) explain situation to him (or her) and ask for a survey and any rectification required.

I'm sure that would clear all problems, even if it costs a little more that you shouldn't have paid - life's too short - why let a builder spoil it?

If, on the other hand you like a fight (some peole do!) do the above and knock the cost off the builder's bill and take your positions ready for the tussle.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Ask corgi registered guy for landlords cp12

will cost approx =A360- =A380.00 are you anywhere in london/essex as I have a superb one who actually apreciates me as a customer and does not treat one like they are doing you a favour by being willing to grace one with their presence.

HTH PHIL

Reply to
nimbusjunk

The message from "DB" contains these words:

Talk to your local CAB and Trading Standards.

Reply to
Guy King

You can't simply use a landlord's safety certificate as a substitute for having the installation certified by CORGI - it's not the same thing. There could be problems with the installation which would not be picked up in a landlord's check.

For example: a muppet fitter could have installed the boiler and forgotten to apply his blowlamp to a soldered fitting. The fluxed joint could quite likely remain gas tight for the duration of the testers's drop-test, and could therefore pass a landlord's check... that sort of problem could be very hard to pick up, which is why it can be pretty hard to find a CORGI who is prepared to sign off the work of an unknown somebody else under circumstances like yours.

Your ideal would be to find out somehow (on the sly?) who did install your boiler and approach them direct I would have thought.

If the builder has used somebody who isn't CORGI-registered then CORGI would be interested in knowing about it, for sure.

David

Reply to
Lobster

that's sailing quite close to blackmail.

balls to him, get a local gas fitter in to certify the boiler with a landlords certificate and bill the builder for it. unless the builder has a written schedule and you have a written quote it's his word against yours and if he doesn't what you want he can F off.

Reply to
.

Its a criminal offence to work on gas installations as a job (not diy), so tell the builder you will be notifying the Police and CORGI yourself, as you believe an offence has been commited and you are in fear for the safety of your family and home.

dg

Reply to
dg

Simply phone building control and say that your builder is refusing to give you the certificate and you believe that they may be working on gas without a ticket.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Dear sir,

To confirm the points raised with xxxx, the advisor you spoke to this morning.

Our boilers can be registered at vaillant.co.uk

Any engineer who is registered with Corgi can commission the boiler, regardless of who installed the boiler, provided that they are happy to do so. Corgi's website can be found here. You can source a corgi-registered installer from there.

Best regards

Vaillant Group Service

---------

I then contacted CORGI who said that if I can get someone else to commision the boiler and register with CORGI then that would be fine (thankfully so!). I've got in touch with a CORGI Boiler installer who has said he will be ok to come down and check out the boiler and if all ok to commision and notify CORGI. He charges about =A360 which is quite reasonable. Hopefully all we be ok with the boiler and the builder will be a distant memory.

Thank you again to everyone who posted replies to my message. Will give further update if the situation changes in anyway.

Thanks again.

DB.

Reply to
DB

That's the word I was waiting to see in this thread... "commisioning" It's what they're trained to do, all CORGI fitters can perform a system check before firing up and certifying a gas appliance and associated services, components etc.

I think your builder was trying scare tactics.

d=2E

Reply to
deano

I've got in touch with a CORGI Boiler installer who has said he will be ok to come down and check out the boiler and if all ok to commision and notify CORGI. He charges about £60 which is quite reasonable. Hopefully all we be ok with the boiler and the builder will be a distant memory.

Thank you again to everyone who posted replies to my message. Will give further update if the situation changes in anyway.

Thanks again.

DB.

Hi DB - if your Corgi man is good and he is anywhere near Surrey / West Sussex I would be interested in his details

Cheers

Pete

Reply to
PM