Boiler inside a sealed garage query

hi

My garage suffers from draughts in cold weather and it makes the bedroom above it feel cold.

I was thinking of fitting a removable wall directly behind the garage door to reduce the draughts.

But it occured to me the central heating boiler is fitted inside the garage. Potterton Suprima 50. It looks like a smaller version of the same boiler that was fitted inside a kitchen wall cabinet of my previous property (Suprima 80).

The boiler is mounted on outward facing wall of the garage and there is a short flue going through the wall. The horizontal chimney can be seen on the other side of same wall.

If I seal off the garage door, there will be no ventilation into the garage.

Will this be a problem for the boiler?

Bill

i think that boiler is room sealed therefore takes it's combustion air sirectly from outside via the flue pipe, a quick check would be to look at the flue and you should see a pipe within a pipe.

anual check would be advised after the wall was built and the corgi guy would/should answer your question and check the ventilation

Reply to
Gav

yes you are correct. There is a pipe within a pipe when I looked at the end of the flue.

Reply to
Bill

AIUI, the Suprima is a fanned flue boiler and doesn't require ventilation for combustion air. However, AIUI, it DOES require compartment ventilation for heat dissipation reasons. I suspect, but please do check, that in a large room like a garage, convective air flows within the room will achieve this heat distribution.

You should also always provide a small amount of ventilation to any room to avoid condensation and air quality issues, and also in this case to provide additional safety in case the room sealing on the boiler is defective. The standard amount of room ventilation would normally be enough for any room sealed boiler installed outside of a cupboard.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The requirement for ventilation depends on which model of Suprima you have.

I must look up to see what the definition of a cupboard v. a room is in BS

5440-2.

Anyway no extra purpose ventilation is required for this boiler in a garage.

Reply to
Ed Sirett