Boiler frost protection

Hi, I am hoping someone can confirm correct behavior - would it be normal for the frost stat to turn the heating pump on?

I can see the point - protects the pipes as they cross the garage, but it can mean that if the garage is cold, the house can get too warm!

It can also mean the heating is effectively on all night.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paul Matthews

Yes the pump will run when the frost stat kicks in.

Most frost thermostats trigger at about 4 deg C. Is your frost stat inbuilt or a seperate unit? I have already had to move one incorrectly placed frost stat this year as the boiler was running all night.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The controller I had in a previous house had 2 stage frost protection. The first stage brought the pump on when the ext temp dropped to -1degC, the second stage brought the boiler on when the water temperature dropped below 10degC if I remember rightly? , or was it the internal air tempdropped to 10degC. Anyway you get the drift. Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

(flow) pipe of the boiler, wired in series with the frost stat and set for a lowish temperature say 20 degrees C. The frost stat starts the boiler and pump but the pipe stat limits the temperature rise of the water. This prevents overheating of the house and possibly more importantly high fuel consumption. Danfoss make a suitable unit.

Reply to
cynic

Ta

It is separate, and above the boiler. From memory I am not sure how directly above.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

Directly above, app 2' higher.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

(flow) pipe of the boiler, wired in series with the frost stat and set for a lowish temperature say 20 degrees C. The frost stat starts the boiler and pump but the pipe stat limits the temperature rise of the water. This prevents overheating of the house and possibly more importantly high fuel consumption. Danfoss make a suitable unit.

Would you not need that on the return pipe?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Any chance you could turn the

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Any chance you could turn the stat down so it comes on at a lower temperature or isolate it from the wall with say a piece of polystyrene.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth" saying something like:

I'd think the lag involved in heating the boiler contents would take care of that. The pump would shoot the warm water around for long enough to take the danger of freezing away.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Just fitted a Honeywell frost stat today. The instructions said to wire a pipe stat (set at 25 deg) on the return pipe in series with the Honeywell stat.

Of course the wholesalers didn't have a pipe stat in stock so I will fit that after the weekend.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth