Boiler flue: wall or pitched roof?

How reliable / easy to fit are the penetrations for putting flues through a tiled roof? I have the choice between going through a brick wall between two windows (700 mm wide, so just meets the 300 mm clearance criterion, if I read the rules correctly) or going straight up through the roof (concrete double romans).

I think the roof would be slightly neater, but is there much risk of developing leaks round the flashing over time?

Access is no problem as I have a tower up there at the moment.

TIA

Reply to
newshound

The flashing kits that you get for flues are designed for flat tiles like marley mods or similar - it's highly unlikely you'll get a proper seal with double romans, although it may be worth asking at a local building or roofing merchant whether they can get you a tile specially made with a hole through it with a flange inserted - there are companies around who do this and then your rubber seal will fit snugly onto this, without it, forget it. Expect to pay 10 -15 quid for the tile

Reply to
Phil L

Thanks for the tip. Vaillant do an "adjustable tile" but I can't decide from the drawing if it will work with my tiles. I'll have to see if I can find one to look at. But having re-read the literature it looks as though I will be OK with a flue through the wall.

Reply to
newshound