boiler flue

At my local real ale pub, the landlord has had fitted overhead shelters, with open sides, so the smokers can have somewhere to go to have a ciggy and it also allows walkers and dog owners to sit outside with their drinks. However, he has created a problem for himself. The boiler that supplies the hot water and CH has its flue under the top of the shelter and as a consequence, the condensation is hitting the shelter and dripping down on anyone sat underneath. I think someone else mentioned that anyone sat there would be in contact with the carbon monoxide that comes out of the flue.

Can the flue be extended, by a handyman, without running into any problems.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It certainly can't simply be 'extended' in the simplistic sense: any modifications to the flue arrangement need to be carried out using parts produced by the boiler manufacturer. What's available will depend on the manufacturer: eg my new Worcester-Bosch has a really funky angled extension to direct the plume from under an overhang and away from a facing wall, exactly to where I want it; the old boiler it replaced (Vaillant) had no such accessories and vented very "inappropriately".

Any modifications should be done by a Gas-Safe registered engineer (if bodged, there would be plenty of scope for killing off the locals during a lock-in...)

David

Reply to
Lobster

LOL Thanks for that. I'll pass the information on. (I suspect he has a lock in, or two, but I only drink at lunch time.) :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In message , Dave writes

If you look in any boiler manual, you will see what is allowed and what is not

He has a potentially lethal set up now if the flue is under the top of the shelter, he really needs someone competent to look at the set-up immediately, and not operate the boiler until it is resolved

Don't forget, if someone dies (unlikely, but possible) he would be up on a manslaughter charge

Reply to
geoff

But, ... they are smokers

Life is cheap for these sort of people (tm Rocky horror)

Reply to
geoff