Boiler fan "How much!" ?

Hi all,

So, yesterday we popped across the road to say a seasonal 'hello' to a couple of elderly neighbours and as we walked in they said "sorry it's a bit cold but our central heating has stopped working ..".

Anyway, apparently the last time their Netaheat / Potterton 10/16 'stopped working' it was the fan and he changed it himself.

We took the covers off and found the fan rattling and shaking about so guessed it was that again.

I drove him to the local place he got the last fan from and the shop had gone, so on to the Plumb Centre and as luck would have (?) it they had one in stock.

It all went back in ok and they had heating again ;-)

But something I wasn't quite ready for was the price of the 'assembly'. I wasn't 'surprised' as in "woah, cheaper to buy a new boiler" or wanting to fabricate the assembly for the money myself but more 'I know that these probably cost little to make, could we have got it cheaper elsewhere' sorta thing (these are pensioners after all) ?

Of course we were 'there', it was 4:30 on a dead week (re ordering etc) they were old, it was cold etc etc so we bit the bullet and bought it but I just wondered what these things *should* cost on average from the 'right place' (assuming the PC wasn't)?

So, what would you guys consider a 'typical' price for a complete fan assembly (motor, fan, cowling, backplate etc) please?

An afterthought was 'I wonder if we can actualy get just the motor (cheaper) and rebuld this assembly ready for 'next time''?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Depending upon boiler, £70 - £180, they are damn expensive for what they are, probably cost buttons to make.

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

T i m was thinking very hard :

There are retail prices, trade prices and trade prices with discounts.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Geoff will sell you a recon exchange for £45

shock us by telling us what you actually paid!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Reply to
Alan

I as I say in the new FAQ. The cost is not in the object itself but in supporting an industry to have one ready for you when you need it.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

If it's a £180 it may be cheaper to have the motor "reconditioned".

sponix

Reply to
sponix