boiler fan

Hello,

The combi boiler in my new house has just packed up. I downloaded a manual from the manufacturer's web site, which includes a fault finding flow chart. There is 240v at the fan but the fan does not turn. It seems a bit stiff when turned by hand. Is this just age? Does it dry out in the heat?

The boiler is a sime. I've never heard of these before. Are they any good? I don't know how old it is but it is not a condensing boiler. There is a little rust on the one side and some green on the copper, so it must be a few years old.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

No, should not be stiff; yes, age; yes. Sounds like the bearings are worn out.

Try something like wd-40 on the bearings: if it works, even if marginally, the diagnosis dried out/worn out is confirmed. The wd-40 will not effect a repair, it will seize again within anything form minutes to days. But it may allow a confirmation that the fan is seized and there is nothing else keeping it from working.

Go to

and get a reconditioned replacement. If in doubt as to the diagnosis, mail them. Geoff is the boss and was a regular here at uk.d-i-y, and he knows fans 'n' things.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Another vote for Geoff here.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Well as it happens, that's exactly what I did. Whilst I was typing my message I had 3 in 1 soaking into the fan and it now spins quite happily.

The brand new parts are 170ish ex vat. How can a fan cost so much? They don't cost that much in any other appliance (hair drier, oven, computer, fan heater, etc).

A reconditioned one seems the only sensible way to go. I had heard cet recommended here before and I have contacted them for a quote.

How do these fans work? I'm thinking with a dc motor if you connect the power the wrong way round, the fan will turn backwards but how does it work with ac. (I forgot to take a photo before I pulled the fan off and I can't remember which way round the wires go! it seems to be blowing out the flue so all seems to be well).

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

The 3-in-1 will work for a while, but not as well as new bearings. (I'm guessing bronze bearings.)

(Geoff will take yours, clean it up, pop new oil-soaked bronze sintered bearings into it, test it so he can guarantee his work, and sell yours on. Meanwhile you will get one he's already done that to, IYSWIM.)

Without knowing what the fan motor looks like, I'll guess and say

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

The price of parts makes all-inclusive callout charges almost look like good value.

Reply to
stuart noble