Boiler Dead

My 28 year old Ideal floor standing boiler was completely dead this morning, with no pilot light. I expected it to be the same fault it had last year which required a new gas valve to fix it, but it simply needed a new pump.

Alerted British Gas at 8:30am this morning and they arrived and had it fixed 3 hours later at 11:30am...superb.

I've got a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28HE system boiler being fitted in 10 days, hopefully that will give me 28 years of pretty reliable service too...yeah, right!

Reply to
RedOnRed

Don't quite see why a failed pump would cause no pilot light?

That's what you're paying for, surely?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's what I thought.

You're right it is, but a 3 hour response and fix is quite remarkable in my book. I work in an industry dictated by SLA's and this kind of service response is usually only reserved for the highest business critical down-times. Not moi's abode which was empty when they came to fix it.

Opt away from BG cover and go for the cheaper competition and you might see my point.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Last time I had to call BG their pre-arranged "morning visit" took place around 5pm - and only after numerous chasing from me. I asked the "engineer" (politely) why and he said he was busy. I gave him about three opportunities to say the S word but it obviously didn't enter his head.

Reply to
rrh

My Potterton Kingfisher is about the same age as your Ideal, and has broken down only once - which was the thermocouple. An easy DIY fix. If I'd had a BG service contract throughout this time it would have cost many times that of the original installation.

I have, however, cleaned it a few times (when it suited me) and also replaced the O rings between the segments of the heat exchanger after a small leak. For pennies.

BG make a fortune out of their 'cover' - and are very likely to say your system - or parts of it - can't be serviced anymore when it suits them. Regardless of the facts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I doubt it has a an overheat cutout but if it did this could cause the symptom. The OH is in series with the thermocouple.

Reply to
Ed Sirett