Boiler Condensate Drain options

Hi, all.

We will be doing a loft conversion this year, and one of the things I'm doing in anticipation is loosing the various header tanks that currently clutter the loft. I've already lost the DHW header with the installation of a Megaflo unvented cylinder.

Now, I want to replace the boiler to bring the primary loop up to pressure, and loose the remaining primary Fill + Expansion tank. The currennt bioler in non-condensing, and we'd be looking to install a condensing unit.

The boiler is currently in a purpose-built 'room' ( large cupboard! ) in the garage, which is directly underneath half of the main living space. ( The property is on a hill, the garage is at the downhill side. ) The pipework is all conveniently short up to the living space above. I'd rather not re-site the boiler, if possible.

The only problem would be where to dispose of condensate. The boiler is mounted on an outside wall, but there are no actual drains of any sort at that level on that side of the building. I presume I can't just let it piddle out onto the ground, can I? Or can I?

The options I can see are :

1) A purpose-built soakaway; 2) A lot of trenching to lay in a new drain back to some existing drain which I would need to find.

Any other options I havn't considered? How about pumping the condensate up to some existing drain I might find?

Reply to
Ron Lowe

You can. Probably not a brilliant idea right next to the foundations though. Also need to ensure the pipe can't freeze in winter.

Yes, this is allowed. Condensate pumps are commonly used with air conditioning units, and you can use the same type.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've got this situation too and no you cant do that according to my electrician

He says that this is the thing to do. He is going to buy a small (20mm dia?) soakaway to put in the ground just outside the building The soakaway is made of something slightly alkali to neutralise the condensate. He didnt think there would be any problem

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Filled with limestone chippings.

Reply to
John Stumbles

John Stumbles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com:

Technically, you are supposed to ask the Environment Agency if a condensate soakaway is permitted. Depends on the water table, soil type, etc. I did and got a pleasant phone call followed by a letter giving such permission.

Reply to
Rod

Hmmn, don't remember anything about that on my C&G{mumble} on energy efficiency which was all about condensing boilers including condensate disposal including soakaways.

Reply to
John Stumbles

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 00:23:17 GMT someone who may be John Stumbles wrote this:-

I suspect that such permission would only be necessary above a certain size of boiler. A little bit of condensate from household boilers won't pollute watercourses, even if it drips directly into a stream.

Reply to
David Hansen

And presumably the point about a buffer-filled soakaway is that its effluent shouldn't be a particular pollutant (except of calcium bicarbonate or whatever makes for hard water). Also, presumably, you should renew the contents of the soakaway every so often, though practical values of 'so often' may be greater than maximum expected boiler lifetimes.

Reply to
John Stumbles

John Stumbles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com:

I understand the scepticism - but apparently it applies regardless of boiler size and the person I spoke to did check up on maps which indicate the soil and geology of the area.

Unfortunately, I cannot at the moment find a reference - but I shall try again tomorrow.

Reply to
Rod

Why not quit the hassle and use a condensate pump like a Sanicondens?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

On 8 Jan 2007 22:39:07 GMT someone who may be Rod wrote this:-

The "Environment Agency" is an organisation I believe operates in England and perhaps Wales. It is of little concern to me.

Reply to
David Hansen

Ed Sirett wrote in news:enulen$t8f$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

Because, for the sake of a phone call, I got formal permission to do something that is cheaper and, in our circumstances, much easier than using a pump. Therefore, no possible issue on selling the property.

I just wanted to point out the permissions issue so that people can make their own judgement on what to do.

Reply to
Rod

David Hansen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Fair enough. My sister would say the same, as she lives in the same city.

Reply to
Rod