Boiler Certificate

I've had a new boiler installed and have been sent a certificate from Corgi. This states that I must notify the Local Building Control directly. Must this be done and do they come round to check the installation?

Dave

Reply to
David

Strange.

How did CORGI get your details?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Reply to
Aidan

Was the installer CORGI registered? If so, I think it would be simply a matter of informing them, the installer can self-certify.

Reply to
Aidan

The only way I can think that this might happen is if the installer was not 'qualified' for some other aspect of the installation. E.g. Energy efficiency (Part L) or the electrics (Part P)?

Anyone else with a guess?

It seem likely that the only way that CORGI would know is if the installer had notified the boiler installer through CORGI.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

There is a scheme were a corgi fitter registers the install and the customer is sent a letter. I thought the letter self certified. If not it is a waste of time, and another corgi money maker.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

So by fitting my own boilers I've also avoided some junk mail ... nice.

Corgi's offices are quite near here. Looks like a tinpot outfit. Apparently one of their money making wheezes is offering loans so cowboys can buy their white vans. The cash is actually put up by one of the big banks.

Reply to
OldBill

Had another look at the certificate. Its actually called a Declaration Of Safety. It states that since April 2005 its been a Government requirement for homeowners in England and Wales to notify Local Building Control of any relevent building work undertaken in the property. Also from January 2007 all home owners must be able to provide evidence of any gas and building work undertaken in their property in order to sell the property. The certificate shows my address, the installers name and CORGI number and the work that was carried out.

I assume this is all to do with confirming with your buyer when you sell your house that any work was done by a competent person.

Dave

Reply to
David

Dave, how much is it going to cost you to notify building control?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What would I have to pay them for? I'm surprised no one else here who has had a new boiler fitted has not had one of these.

Dave

Reply to
David

1) How many people _here_ have had new boilers fitted in the last few months? 2) How many of those had outside help? 3) I've only done one boiler since April as I've been mostly tied up with refurbishing a flat and (re)passing various exams. However the boiler I did was notified. 4) If you are fitting one of the 'outlawed' non-condensing boilers you really don't want to inform the BCO or CORGI of the fact, do you.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

I had a non-condensing boiler fitted in May - is this installation legal? Will I have to fork out for a new boiler when the sellers pack is introduced? I'm getting a little concerned about this now!

Reply to
bub

There was a three month grace period for 'contracts' made before 1/4/5. So presumably it was one of those 8-).

Reply to
Ed Sirett