boiler/central heating query

Hi, I have a combination boiler, that is used for the central heating system and for heating water for domestic use. And I am quite clueless of how the system actually works.

My query is that, if in an emergency I need to turn off the mains water supply, do I need to also turn OFF the central heating/hot water (boiler)? Can any damage be done to the boiler if no water mains is available?

Many Thanks in advance.

krish

Reply to
pkrishan

No, you shouldn't need to do this. The heating system is completely sealed so will be unaffected by the availability or lack of mains water.

The hot water system will be controlled by a flow valve - no water flowing, no hot water activation.

Reply to
John Carlyle-Clarke

Hi Krish,

Simple answer is don't worry, no need to switch the boiler off. The boiler takes water from the mains to supply the hot taps, heating it as it goes. If there is no mains water because you've turned it off then you just won't get any hot (or cold) water at the taps - the boiler will just sit idly by.

As for the radiators, the water which flows around the radiator circuit is isolatated from the water main and from your taps. The water within that circuit will still be there even if the water main is off. Therefore you can continue to run the radiators.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

The main FAQ has a description of a combi boiler.

Reply to
Ed Sirett