Boiler-attic, condensate into vent pipe from soil stack.

The boiler is at the moment in the toilet (no bath, small). As some time in the dim and distant future, I'd like to make this a wet room, so having the boiler in would be awkward.

As a new boiler is to be fitted, is there any reason or legislation (scotland) why moving it to the attic would cause a problem?

The condensate would be routed into the soil pipe vent that runs down inside the house.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The building regs do limit where the flue can go (part J diagram 3.4 in England) but nothing too restrictive.

Reply to
Mike

I'm fairly sure it's fine. It'd be a couple of meters higher than the existing one, which is not over a path, or anywhere close to a boundary, and further from windows/openings than existing ones. I was more wondering about routing the condensate.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Sounds OK to me. IIRC, mine required 21mm (overflow pipe) indoors, and 32mm minimum outdoors where it might be subject to freezing. I guess the loft might get cold even when boiler is on, so you might want to take precautions. You could probably put 22mm pipe insulation over the 21mm overflow pipe in the loft. Might want to keep the length of run to the 110mm soil stack as short as possible, particulary the outdoor part of it. Condensate is still slightly warm on mine when it runs into the pipe, so it would probably be quite difficult to get it to freeze inside the loft area.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think it's an *internal* soil stack - so there wouldn't be an outdoor part.

Presumably the condensate isn't hot enough to damage the plastic soil stack?

Reply to
Set Square

Oh yes, missed that bit.

Well, you would expect to be able to pour boiling water down a soil stack without damaging it, and the condensate doesn't get that hot. Actually, it probably can't exceed 55C in theory, although some boiler designs might conceivably be able to heat it up slightly as an unintended side effect after it's been condensed out by passing the slightly hotter flue gases over it. (In the Keston, the flue gas is only 5C hotter than the boiler's flow temperature, so this is a negligable effect, if you manage to see it at all.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Indeed it is, and the walls are 50cm stone, so it's very unlikely to freeze in sharp snaps. Thanks all. Now, the question remains - will the plumber consent to installing it this way (it's being done free under the auspices of EAGA)

Reply to
Ian Stirling