Boiler and Broadband Problem

Sounds strange but its true! When my boiler is running (Glow Worm ultimate), if you are standing near the boiler you can hear what sounds like a hissing noise.

This happens probably once every 10 minutes or so. This seems to be giving out some sort of eletrical discharge. You can hear it hissing on my PC speakers and also it knocks my broadband router offline as well. The hiss lasts anything from 3 to 5 seconds.

I think it must be something arcing perhaps in the boiler and its causing a static discharge with in turn affects other electrical equipment.

Any ideas on what the problem is and if its fixable?

Cheers,

CM

Reply to
Charles Middleton

Suppressor in the pump?

Reply to
Dave Jones

Is there a lot of noise on the TV picture too when this happens? If so, it could be sluggish contacts on either the boiler or room thermostat - causing a lot of noise on the mains. [The contacts are supposed to snap open and closed very quickly - but sometimes they dither.] Either replace the offending stat - or get a suppressor for it.

Reply to
Set Square

Probably the thermostat is getting tired and does not click on and off sharply. This is probably a precursor to the thermostat failing entirely so you might as well replace it.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Have you got a wireless room stat and router?

Reply to
RedOnRed

Different frequency ranges entirely...

Reply to
Andy Hall

It might not stop 'cross talk' though, especially if a source and receiver are unusually close IYSWIM?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Possible, although a wireless room thermostat turns the transmitter on very briefly and occasionally to conserve the battery so it doesn't seem that likely that it would affect a WiFi router.

Reply to
Andy Hall

How do these new-fangled boilers light the gas? Mine has a pilot light but presumably the "economy" type have to use high voltage spark ignition - would be a good transmitter.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Could I replace the boiler thermostat myself - easily? If it is the stat then its the boiler one as this happens when Ive just got the hotwater on.

You know Im tempted to get rid of the thing and replace it with a combi, get rid of the electric shower as well and just have the house looking a mess for a few weeks whilst all of the plumbing goes on. I still havent sorted out my air in the system problem (raised last winter) and this years winter is fast approaching.

Cheers,

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

It's not usually too difficult. The stat has some electrical connections - and also a copper capillary tube with a bulb on the end which goes into a housing in the boiler to sense the temperature. So it's a case of removing the bulb from its housing, disconnecting the wires, unbolting the stat body - then reversing that lot with the new one, taking care not to damage the capillary tube.

Reply to
Set Square

Perhaps you should think about keeping the electric shower either during the work or even for an backup system.

Reply to
Ed Sirett