Bog cisterns

I understood the old float ball valve type with the slider that carried a washer against the nozzle, and the newer variations on that which used a diaphragm, but this flat has some modern contraption and I'm having trouble understanding how it works.

Close coupled, bottom entry, float operates a lever on the top that closes an air hole that I believe leads to water flowing through a hole in the middle of the diaphragm then forcing the diaphragm closed on the basis that the water pressure is acting on a larger area on one side of the diaphragm than the other.

The hole in the middle of the diaphragm has a small plastic insert thingy in it which I think is meant to be a one way valve.

The float sits in a cup that drains through a one way flap when the cistern empties so that as the cistern fills, the float doesn't rise until the water level reaches the rim of the cup, I believe this is so that the cistern refills quickly until it reaches the stop point, as the float valve only moves when the cistern is almost full. This cup is part of the inlet tube, and the float surrounds the inlet tube.

Can't find anything on the web that describes this sort of valve operation, which means I'm guessing as to how it actually works and unsure about how to try and fix it. As far as I can tell there are two rubber parts, the diaphragm with the plastic thingy that might be a one- way valve in the middle, and the little bung that gets pressed down on the top hole as the float rises.

Damn thing leaks for about 20 - 40 minutes after flushing before it settles down. I've had it all apart once and made sure nothing appears to be scaled up, diaphragm not split etc.

I'm unable to see any indication of the manufacturer on the device. There are similar looking items in the screwfix catalogue, but nothing that looks the same.

Reply to
Denis McMahon

You generally find that devices like this have a mall hole in the diaphragm (or nearby) which lets water into a chamber that powers the diaphagm valve shut. Dribbling as you describe is the symptom of this small hole being blocked. It's small enough to be overlooked.

Reply to
harryagain

Best description I have ever read.

I had a moulding defect on the flushing diaphragm that caused problems.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Seems there was a very small split in the diaphragm that made itself much more visible the next time I pulled it out. Looking at various images found by googling "bottom entry ball valve diaphragm" led me to believe that the magic incantation was "armitage hushflo", and a short stroll to the neighbouring B&Q saw it fixed for GBP 1.57.

Reply to
Denis McMahon

From your description, I think the technical term is a pilot-operated diap hragm valve. The small valve vents pressure from one side of a diaphragm, w hich allows it to open; in effect the water is stopped by its own pressure. Googling should provide details.

I had something similar fitted to a softened water storage tank, a tiny f loat valve operated a massive (2", or so ISTR) diaphragm valve, and kept it fully open or fully closed. It worked.

Reply to
amcmaho