Bodging toolbox contents

OK, I did this a few years ago and it's time for an update.

Imaging you have a tool box and ye need to stock it with items to cope with any potential D-I-Y emergency, anything from a leaking tap to, er, accidental release of vampires....

I'll start with the obvious Angle Grinder and a roll of Gaffer tape.

Reply to
Adrian C

There's no way a kit of diy tools fits in a toolbox imho.

NT

Reply to
NT

Reply to
Chris Bartram

a/ Mobile Phone with internet access

b/ Credit card of your choice

c/ A pre-prepared list of a few useful numbers

... what more could you need

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

stopcock key rubber gloves fusewire blowtorch fire extinguisher tarpaulin

2 buckets (one for 'water in', 1 for 'water out') water purifier tablets foil blanket spare keys credit card

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's often said that gaffer tape is for things that shouldn't move, and do...and that for things that don't move, and don't, you need WD-40.

Of course, WD-40 isn't a lubricant (ducks)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Looking at mine, I'd say

Screwdriver with 32 star-bits but all the Philips ones gone

3 credit cards covered in dried polyfilla big blob of dried glue stuck to empty araldite packet with plastic stirrer stuck to it one castor 452,405 assorted loose screws, nails, washers, nuts spanner set minus the sizes 11, 13 and 14 broken socket ratchet various broken bits of plastic, 240v plugs, faceplates, backplates, used wallplugs 9 dead and leaking batteries 6 broken drill bits various containers of No More Nails with the nozzles blocked, one with a nail stuck down nozzle
Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

pipe wrench for sure and a small selection of socket set stuff. Strap wrench pipe cutter maybe if that's what you deal with I carry wire cutters pliers and tie wraps of various grades. REALLY cheap analogue multimeter. hammer and reasonable range of screwdrivers. Hacksaw...but really you need a vice for that. tungsten carbide sanding block and some wet and dry paper. Hot glue gun,... tap wrench.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You left out the rusty razor blades! :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

A roll of TV aerial lashing wire. Very strong, can be used to hold exhaust pipes, fences, etc.

A roll of insulating tape.

A few large cable ties.

A 12VDC electric drill with a set of HSS bits.

An assortment of jubilee clips.

A junior hacksaw and spare blade.

A significant hammer.

Adjustable spanner.

Pliers.

A short length of cord or thin rope.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You store yourself in there?

Reply to
Clive George

But no taps?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Broken *Stanley* knife blades, please!

Pack of plumber's epoxy putty. PTFE tape.

Reply to
Newshound

Stick of hot melt glue and a lighter.

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I have a toolbox I've built up over several years of club level motor racing which as well as normal things like spanners & screwdrivers, also contains things like;

Cable ties Odd lengths of wire Chocolate block Self tapping screws Nuts, bolts & washers Jubilee clips Lucar crimp connectors

Reply to
Huge

If only I could have a portable toolkit that would do that. Could get rid of a room full of tools...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

fwiw I used to shrink this further to a pocket kit. Small pliers, small screwdriver, small wallpaper knife (plastic to minimise weight), I forget if anything else. Its surprising how many jobs can be done on the spot with so few tools.

NT

Reply to
NT

I can barely fit essential (to my way of thinking) equpment in my workshop never mind a toolbox

I have often thought of compiling an inventory for inurance purposes but but suspect that I would get sidetracked as I discovered long unused items and needed to check they still worked etc

Swmbo and me

2 sets of aging parents

2 children and partners

Grandchild

Totals to 4 (soon to be 5) homes and 7 cars and a seemingly endless stream of toys which are all obviously emergency repairs in themselves

The potential for emergency repair is beyond comprehension

Regards

Reply to
TMC

Reply to