Boarding on a toilet wall

The downstairs loo is to be tiled. Unfortunately it has a number of 15mm central heating pipes running down and along one wall along with the hot and cold supply to a corner washbasin.

Rather than bury the pipes in the wall, which would mean remaking quite a few joints, I'm considering fixing 18mm boarding to it with channels left for the pipes to run in.

Can I use chipboard, or is that asking for trouble?

I'd be inclined to stick on some plasterboard with plasterboard adhesive, ensuring a line of it along the edges, then plaster up the channels around the pipes. You can push the board into the adhesive to the correct depth. If you want access to the pipes (difficult under tiles), some sort of trunking may be required. Simon. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Its fine.

I have boxed in with bits of wood that make me blush..old bits of chip packing carte, bits of marine ply, MDF..plasterboard..as long as they are well stuck together, and more or less at normal humidity before you tile so shrinkage is already in place, they are fine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you have used any cheap old tat to box in,. ripping it out if you ever need to access the pipes causes less pain.

Keep a spare box of tiles back in case it ever needs doing..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks - hadn't thought of that! Don't know why...

Does plasterboard come in 18mm?

The adhesive would take up the gap. e,g, 9mm pb + 9mm adhesive etc. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

big dabs of adhesive....

Reply to