Blue water in Brum a bad sign ...

severn-trent-water

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The water in your toilet cistern is not ideal for drinking, regardless of whether it's bright blue or not.

Reply to
GB

My toilet cistern is fed from a tank in the loft. So the water would need to be siphoned back into the tank then flow upwards into the inlet pipe to get into the supply . This tank runs all the water apart from the kitchen cold which is the only water you should drink.

Thought all domestic water supplies were done this way.

Reply to
soup

Um, the only water *you* should drink.

Never lived in a house plumbed that way.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In my last property, I purposely fed one WC cistern directly from the main, the other from the loft tank. Several reasons - not least that the tank feed ensured continued ability to flush even when mains was off (as it was several times during renewal work), and much faster filling of the main-fed one.

In current property, in common with so many now, everything is fed directly from the main.

Reply to
polygonum

Everything consuming cold water here is plumbed to the mains, the loft tank is purely to feed the hot water, most houses I've lived in are done that way.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Mea culpa there should have been a

***= I was told as a kid in there
Reply to
soup

As per:-

(other systems are available )

Reply to
soup

Not in my experience. Mostly kitchen tap mains. all other taps tank fed, or the whole lot mains fed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's no mystery as to how it's done, just pointing out that it's far from ubiquitous.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

OK. I used to think it was(long time ago). Have since learned/learnt different.

What I was saying is I have always lived with this, I didn't mean to imply that this was the only way a house should be plumbed.

The diagram was merely as a way to express my ramblings in a more coherent form.

Reply to
soup

In the good old days it was common for the upstairs WC to be filled off the tank.

For one it was quieter and I also thought that on occasion there were local byelaws to cover supply continuity issues.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Both houses I've lived in (first built in 1986, second in 2000) had all the

*cold* taps fed from the rising main and therefore all of them were drinking water. The first house had a mini-tank joined onto the hot water cylinder which simply supplied hot water pressure; the second house had the hot water cylinder fed from the rising main - there was no header tank.

My parents' house (about 1965) also has a header tank (though that one is in the loft) and that feeds hot water and cold to the bath only; all other cold taps (washbasins, kitchen sink etc) are rising main. The reason that in some houses the bath has cold water from the header tank is so both taps are at the same pressure and therefore it's easier to mix hot and cold (same pressure so same range of flow rates).

The same applies to modern pressurised hot-water systems (whether cylinder or heat-on-demand combi boiler), except this time you are mixing hot and cold at mains pressure rather than at header tank pressure.

Reply to
NY

IME, ramblings should be left to their own devices and not have coherency enforced.

Reply to
Richard

So what is this saying exactly? Is it that Torbeck style valves are illegal when mains fed, or do they have built-in back-siphonage protection?

Reply to
Graham.

It's saying that it is only a problem in Brum:-)

Reply to
ARW

Could be wrong but I though back-syphonage protection had been legislated and built into filling valves for years. There's no requirement to change old valves though. It's not hard to stop back syphonage so I don't imagine that it's a big problem from toilet cisterns.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Think it may depend on area as well as age. In this house originally, everything was everything from the header tank with only the cold in the kitchen from the mains. I've kept it that way, apart from changing the bathroom basins cold to mains, as the pressure is pretty poor. But obviously with a new covered tank.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It used to be very common.

Reply to
harry

Is there something built into the filling loop on boilers?

Reply to
GB