Blowtorch

I have an ancient Ronson blowtorch that has become a pain in the proverbial, and want a small, simple, reliable replacement. Not a 'pen' model, though. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
nmm1

snipped-for-privacy@cam.ac.uk expressed precisely :

You didn't specify cheap - so take look at the Rothenberger range, I have two and they are brilliant.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks very much. No, I didn't - they are a bit pricey for me, but not hopelessly. They look good, but are not really what I need.

The bigger problem is that I didn't specify that I wanted something that could be used for more general tasks than just brazing and soldering. In particular, if the flame is tight, I need an optional spreader. The point is that I don't use it much, but I use it for a wide variety of tasks when I do (including my wife using it for creme brulee!) I really don't want yet more special purpose tools :-(

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
nmm1

Not sure how much use this is but I had a very basic Coleman Taymar from B& Q which was fine for my limited plumbing use for many years (it had a plast ic saucer that clipped on to the bottom of the approx 6" canister to increa se stability). When the gas ran out, B&Q had changed suppliers, so I repla ced it with an Aldi Power Craft cheapie that has a Campingaz-style, squat, broad cylinder.

IIRC, the Coleman torch could be removed and the cylinder self-sealed but t he Aldi torch has to stay on once you've pierced the cylinder.

The Aldi one is fine and, in use, I think I prefer it to the branded one.

Reply to
mike

If you want something that performs well, you want one that will run on MAPP gas. After you've used MAPP, you won't go back to Propane/Butane.

+1 for Rotherburger SureFire
Reply to
dom