Blowing Neighbours smell away

Let's be fair, that was never the original premise and this thread has become unhelpful and silly in that respect. The OP never asked for a way to stop someone smoking on their own premises. He or She asked for suggestions to divert the flow of smoke from *their* garden.

Reply to
Sacha

Is that all it means then? I must remember that for the next occasion I see it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Velikovsky! Ah, it takes me back ...

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Ages in Chaoe, Worlds in Collision, ..?

Reply to
charles

Well said.

The OP was looking for a way not to have to suffer his neighbour's smoke. He didn't suggest he wanted to stop his neighbour smoking.

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

He probably had a shit most days; that does not mean it caused his lung cancer.

Reply to
Rover

The overwhelming majority of lung cancer occurs in smokers. The link is so high it would be foolish to suggest that passive smoking does not cause a lot more.

I was surprised to note that research links smoking and passive smoking with hearing loss. So my 45 a day habit might explain why my hearing is so poor. Hopefully I gave up long enough ago that my risks of lung cancer and heart disease are receding. Then again I have spent a lot of time in smoky offices, pubs and clubs so perhaps I had better make my funeral arrangements.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

My wifes hearing is crap she smokes MUCH less than I do.

She used to dance to punk bands though. I stood at the back of rick bands listening to the sound balance.

Then she adopted headphones plugged into a computer.

Now all she can hear is headphones plugged into a computer. Doesn't hear a damned thing I say anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Funny that. My wife uses wireless headphones for the TV cos I can't stand the constant drone. If I want her to hear she doesn't but if I don't she does. She says the same of me. Seems to be a common affliction between couples. Never mind - over to the smoke free pub later when we will both talk - and possibly even listen.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

My mother is rather like that, she uses headphones to watch TV), but that was through a different cause - she had always suffered tinnitus and earwax and on a visit to the hospital a few years ago to have her ears syringed, she felt that the force was much greater than normal and instantly went quite deaf and it didn't wear off. Having deafened her in both ears, the hospital then put her on a 12 month waiting list for hearing aids!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

You can't, can you? They are perfectly entitled to smoke in their house or their garden. You will not die of it if you smell their smoke. It's got ridiculous.

Reply to
Christina Websell

You miss the point in your anxiety to defend the habit. The OP never said they were not entitled, you stupid woman. They merely asked if there was a feasible way of keeping away from themselves.

Again, your smoker's agenda is clouding the issue. They don't *like* the smoke; that is the problem.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I wonder how many smokers would complain if their neighbour put the dog loo or compost heap next to their patio/kitchen window. Neither will kill them.

Reply to
dennis

I don't complain when neighbours have a bonfire or barbecue. It's called living together in harmony.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Robbie

Reply to
Roberts

Showing your age mate. There must be somebody you can blame for something?

Reply to
stuart noble

Perhaps your neighbours wouldn't. But if I lived next door to you (or them) I'd move.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Neither do I. They have a barbecue half a dozen times a year. Another neighbour has a bonfire once a month or so. The smokers next door are out smoking half a dozen times a night, every night three feet from our conservatory windows. Shutting the windows means we get no airflow and is very uncomfortable in hot weather, opening them means our living room fills with the stink.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I can understand that. Smokers used to stand outside the window of my office; patients and visitors and staff, it was so awful. Thankfully the hospital then had a no smoking ban in the grounds as well as the buildings and also in the Crown cars which staff used. At one time I would use the hospital car to drive to Addenbrookes Hospital and the smell, at times, was disgusting. Fortunately the ban also covered the cars. I would not like to have smoke filtering into any of my windows, is it not possible for them to smoke further down the garden?

Reply to
Judith in France

I wouldn't ask them. We get on fine with them and I wouldn't like to cause any friction by asking - particularly as I can see why they smoke where they do, it being their patio, so no sinking in the grass when it's been raining hard; their table and chairs, with large umbrella, sits on the patio; and they can listen throught the patio doors in case their young son wakes up.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker