Blowing Neighbours smell away

In that situation it is essential, as those dangerous gases are part of the work being done.

If I were an employer (and I'm not) why should I spend hard-to-come-by funds on facilities for smokers, when them smoking contributes in no way at all to the success of the organisation? If I was to give money away it would be better to donate it to charity, where it would be beneficial to worthwhile causes.

And if those smokers can't do a decent days work without needing to go outside for cigarettes for more breaktime than a non-smoker needs, then they're not fit for the job and I would replace them with someone who is.

No objection whatsoever if someone wants to smoke. But like any other addiction when it starts to affect people around them or prevents them from doing their job then it has gone too far and they need to wise up.

Like any addict, though, they can't accept any of this. Their minds are closed to all reason. Woe betide anyone who gets in the way or suggests the addict is wrong. They find anyway possible to justify to themselves and others that to be addicted is normal and is their right.

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

Marconi banned smoking well before the smoking ban was made law (probably

5-10 years before). Only a very small number of fool^W people smoked (less than 2%, must be something to do with intelligence?) and it was annoying the hell out of the rest of us so we pressured management to ban it or to put them elsewhere.

A no smoking clause was added to the contracts of new employees.

Reply to
dennis

Paranoia. That's another thing triggered by the perceived threat of addiction withdrawal.

People are not persecuting you. They just want to lead their lives quite happily away from the stench and risk associated with your smoke. That is not persecution.

People around you shouldn't know or care that you smoke, unless you tell them. The problem is that symptoms of addiction make it quite obvious and can make you an unpleasant person to be around - just like with alcohol addiction. Aside from the addiction symptoms smoking is physically unpleasant in and of itself.

So you're free to indulge in your addiction. Do it on your own or with other smokers and no-one will mind, you're not bothering anyone. But don't be under the illusion that others should make efforts to accommodate you or accommodate the unpleasant smells and side effects of the addiction.

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

With good reason..., just like drink driving and obesity and...

Undoubtedly. But unlike smoking, alcohol can be enjoyed in moderation without affecting anyone else, and without becoming addicted.

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

As they could also be, in a pub, etc.

Exactly the same applies to tea breaks, etc. Just as well you're not an employer.

Great. You'd have done well as an employer a couple of centuries ago.

See above. And above.

See above. And above. And above.

Studied addiction, have you? Perhaps you should.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Where did you get the idea that *all* smokers are addicted to it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends on what sort of 'home' it is.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Actually no it doesn't. Asides from being a legal requirement, break times and recuperation time are a vital part of making sure staff are happy and well motivated. But if anything, providing *extra* facilities just for smokers can actually demotivate non-smoking staff (I've seen the staff surveys that prove it).

Plenty of modern large firms have altruistic and philanthropic activities, some of them even going so far as to have whole departments that deal with it.

Sorry but I don't follow. Person A (non smoker) is happy and gets x amount of breaktime at work. Person B (smoker) is happy and gets x amount of breaktime at work. Person C (smoker) can't function unless they get x amount of breaktime plus an additional amount so they can regularly smoke.

Sorry, but which employer in their right mind would choose person C over A or B?

Sorry, but see what above?

I have studied related areas of psychological and motivational theory at postgraduate level.

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

It is so easy to become chemically addicted to nicotine that anyone who smokes more than a few cigarettes for a short period of time undoubtedly *is* addicted.

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

I have noticed that certain parts of London that used to be vibrant are now littered with empty gastro pubs. Bloody depressing to the casual observer

Reply to
stuart noble

What does "vibrant" mean?

Reply to
Tim Streater

That doesn't mean they *have* to smoke every 15 minutes as you imply. I've never been able to smoke at my actual work and it's never bothered me. In exactly the same way as plenty enjoy their alcohol but can wait until after work before indulging.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A rare event round here. A pub close to Clapham Junction - The Plough - closed some time ago and was demolished. The site sat empty for some time. Then building work commenced, and I assumed it was just more flats - like the cinema and electrical wholesaler opposite were converted into. But although there are flats, there's also a new pub.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Full to the rafters with people enjoying a drink but not likely to be leaving by ambulance. What I'd call normal drinkers

Reply to
stuart noble

What I'm actually suggesting is two lifts. But you deliberately chose to misunderstand.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So who is going to collect the glasses and do general supervision as need in a pub?

I know of none that have provided heated areas for smokers, not that i look for them.

That's good, we wouldn't want kids being exposed to that nasty habit.

I have one, smoke free too. I don't have any addictions to anything. I suspect that some people are just going to get addicted to things more easily than those that don't want to be addicts.

Reply to
dennis

Its proven that it is an addictive drug. What makes you think it is not addictive and that smokers aren't addicted. Do you think they would harm themselves if they weren't addicted? What sort of mental problem do self harmers have? Maybe you think smokers need to be sectioned if they aren't addicted?

I remember the daytime TV when a spokes person from the tobacco industry stated "Of course cigarettes aren't addictive, I have given up several times". It made me laugh at how stupid he was.

Reply to
dennis

Exactly. I don't see why he cannot smoke in his own garden. How far will this no-smoking thing go? It's ridiculous.

Reply to
Christina Websell

A barmaid doesn't collect glasses in a decent pub.

Doesn't stop you pontificating, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you think a decent pub is one where they have to use plastic disposable glasses, to stop customers glassing each other when they can't get their fix?

Well you have an opinion and I have one, I haven't tried to stop you pontificating about yours even though it cr@p.

Reply to
dennis