Blowing Neighbours smell away

Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a waste of time?

Reply to
Dave East

Look on the bright side - they may not live long and your problems will be solved!

Reply to
cynic

Look on the bright side - they may not live long and your problems will be solved!

Thanks. But they are all young and look really healthy.

Reply to
Dave East

Just be grateful it's not a barbecue.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave East writes

Sometimes a thick hedge between them and you could help. Trees and shrubs are supposed to absorb pollution aren't they? If not, lots of strong smelling stuff on boundary like rosemary, pennyroayl, mint, even curry plants! Sacha and i would recommend Salvia turkestanica :)

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

You read my mind, you really did!! That's just what I would suggest. That *and* a fan blowing the 'scent' in their direction! But a thick hedge would help because it would not only baffle some of the smoke, it would force it upwards and away from the OP's nose level!

Reply to
Sacha

Must be pretty bad for you to smell the smoke to such a degree!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Grey

Why don't you try getting a life?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A smoker by any chance?

Mike

Reply to
'Mike'

That sounds like a lot of expense and trouble. Presumably both households sit out in the garden regularly and, presumably need to sit close to the shared boundary? What establishes the boundary at the moment ... a fence .. a hedge .. chainlink?

Reply to
Spider

Well, if we ignore the obvious trolling and prejudice, cigarette smoke makes a lot of people with breathing problems cough very badly. I am one. I have never minded pipe or cigar smoke, so was always very annoyed that the airlines used to allow cigarettes but not those AND place the smokers near the air inlets rather than outlets.

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
nmm1

"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Presumably you are a cancerous vulgarious, otherwise you would appreciate just how abhorrent the putrid stench of second-hand tobacco smoke is to others.

Reply to
Interloper

Thieving bastard. That's smoke that was paid for by someone else.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Typical smoker's reply.

Reply to
JoeJoe

There are three ways of approaching this in order of preference I suggest a) speak to them nicely and lie and say that one of you is suffering from an allergy that MIGHT result in an anaphalactic (sp?) fit (with a small but significant risk of death) if she/he has one as a result of exposure to cigarette smoke and that you both suffer from sneezing and watering eyes when this happens. Could they please be kind enough to note the wind direction and not smoke in the garden when the wind is coming towards you and you are in the garden

b) absent a cooperative response simply build a large fence 6' 6" high adorned on the far side with lots of no-smoking symbols subtly engraved or spayed in wood preservative so that they are dicernable but not TOO obvious and grow a dense hedge as well as suggested to take over above 6'6" in due course

c) lastly, you have a right to peaceful enjoyment of your property and the intrusion of bonfire smoke cigarette smoke excessive noise vibrations or ANYTHING that causes a nuisance in law you can get an injunction to stop them doing. It might be that you can take air samples and provide the evidence to the EHO!!! That would be a first.

Chris

Reply to
chris

In article , Interloper writes

Actually there are some areas where ground and location mean that the smoke and smell lingers far longer than is normal. You sometimes get in in areas around offices when people are accustomed to smoke . You seem to get a sudden blast of it as you walk through the area. Maybe the OP's garden is such an area.

Cook curry or burn lots of toast is my only other advice:)

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Presumably you are a cancerous vulgarious, otherwise you would appreciate just how abhorrent the putrid stench of second-hand tobacco smoke is to others.

Reply to
Interloper

The sponger probably jumps the queue in hospitals as well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No shit Sherlock

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Smoking is not yet illegal in the comfort of your own garden, so there is nothing that can be done to stop this, other than an appeal to their better natures. No, I haven't smoked for more than 20 years and am very glad I stopped! However, all the OP can do is lessen the nuisance from within their own boundaries or, as you suggest, ask their neighbours to smoke somewhere where the wind doesn't blow in the offending direction. I would guess that the chances of their compliance will be zero. It's *their* space, just as his garden is the OP's and each is still legally entitled to smoke in their own gardens.

Reply to
Sacha