Blowing bulbs

Indeed. A 230V bulb would be useless everywhere, as Europe still has 220V or

240V, depending on where you live. The purpose of the legislation is not to actually harmonise supply voltages, but to ensure that every electrical device bought in Europe can be used in any other European country. As incandescent lightbulbs are so voltage sensitive, extremely cheap to replace and would be horrendously expensive if made to cover such a wide voltage range, they are exempt.

In any case, GLS bulbs should be taxed at 5-10 pounds per bulb, IMO. You'll only get short sighted mathematically challenged cretins to buy proper bulbs if they see the cost in the purchase price.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

They won`t ;-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I'm in Sweden, an old 220V country, and I haven't seen a 220V bulb in years. All the bulbs you can find are 230V or - rarely - 240V "long life". I've measured the voltage in a number of places. The lowest I've found is 219V and the highest 235V so the 230V rating of bulbs seem to make sense.

/Clas-Henrik

Reply to
C-H Gustafsson

In article , C-H Gustafsson writes