Bloomin' cheap Jigsaw!

Not the same planet as you if you think the average tradesman didn't have an electric drill until the late '70s. Unless it was the same one who wouldn't use a pipe cutter...

Saw a van today marked 'Planet Plumbing' Was it yours?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You mean apart from the IMF loan, statutory pay policy, deep cuts in public spending (not that that is a bad thing), inflation at over 10% and Derek Robinson leading over 500 industrial disputes at Longbridge.....?

Still, Jim Callaghan did reassure us all that there wasn't a crisis, which made it all OK, of course. Mind you he had been on a boonie funded by the tax payer in the West Indies.

.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hmm "prattle", "tripe" and "IMM". Yeah - they go together well.

Anyway as you are obviously some sort of left-wing commie, what are you doing on a web-site like this. Surely in old Mother Russia you weren't allowed to modify or repair anything yourself but had to wait for some overpaid minion of the state to authorise it.

Then again, that sounds like what Part P of the building regs intend to do !!

Reply to
G&M

I said oh brainwahsed one.."The economy was stable and well with unemployment low when the Witch took power, which wasn't the case when they left."

That is clear and simple....and highly accurate.

Robinson predicted the end of the British motor industry due to the way it was managed, which was very badly. He was spot on.

There wasn't. A few strikes by binmen is no crisis. The crisis was in the minds of the right wing press. They decided there was one and brainwashed the hard of thinking there was.

Reply to
IMM

You are sad brainwashed fool. You don't know any real facts and prattle tripe.

Reply to
IMM

Well, unfortunately this is not what the history books show.......

Not difficult, since he played no small part in its demise.

I would suggest that you do a little historical research.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

They do. Unless it is written by a brainwashed right wing fool.

He played none. He did his best to secure the jobs of his members.

brainwashed

I was there. No need to read some pillock who was in his nappies at the time.

Reply to
IMM

OK, if that's what you want to believe.

Again, not what the records show. Industrial unrest caused potential investors to go elsewhere. Since these are long term decisions, the industry never recovered from it. That is not to say that incompetent management did not play a part as well

Me too, and I would suggest that you are looking at the events of

1974-9 through rose tinted spectacles. .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I seem to recall an awful lot of people then, including several current MPs, were looking at most events through a drug induced haze.

Reply to
G&M

It is not what I want to believe. It is the way it is.

The potential investors were not so stupid. They saw why there was unrest, which was because of poor management, so went elsewhere.

Exactly. There was also a move to split up the British auto industry, one which the unions opposed. The unions had an independent managemnet company assess the industry and they also said it will disapear if split up.

They split it and the rest we all know.

Nearly 100% of the problems were on their part. They run the industry, they had the power. Unions never had power as the right wing media portrayed, Joe Gormley always stated that.

Not at all, as you certainly do. The economy was sound and unemployment very low. There was not strike every few minutes. The basis of a strong economy. each time labour has taken office since WW2 they have inherited an economy in tatters. Each time they left office they left it in excellent order. FACT. The current government are running true to Labours good economic housekeeping.

I recall being in the USA in the mid 1970s and one man discussing the British economy. His view was via the right wing press and TV and thought in the UK we were all grovelling on the streets. I pointed out a few points and that London was not about to be declared bankrupt as New York was at the time. Perceptions. Perceptions.

Reply to
IMM

You are obviously speaking for yourself. The 70s were prosperous. All my friends only bought new cars, which wasn't the case 10 years later when the Witch came to power.

Reply to
IMM

Nonsense. Mrs T inherited a country paying itself 22% more than it earned ! As people wouldn't wear pay cuts of this level, she had to effectively get rid of these excess workers and force efficiency up by this amount just to break even.

Please try to understand some basic economics before putting your mouth into gear.

What are you on about ? The country is actually in a virtual state financial ruin only this time Gordon Brown has managed to hide it well. His tax on pensions has destroyed peoples savings but nobody is really noticing yet apart from those managing company pension schemes who realise the deficit in the scheme is larger than the value of the company. I don't know who you work for but this affects YOU TOO !!!!!!

Reply to
G&M

Investors in BL?

BL was a c*ck up from start to finish, and always starved of investment. No new model ever left the factory without needing far more development, which was left to the buyers to find out. Regardless of how promising some were.

It had appalling line management, and the natural reaction to that is appalling unions. But of course it suits the meja to only report one side.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

... and communist shop stewards using unofficial strikes as the first method of negotiation had nothing to do with it?

Not somebody who I would place high on my list of reliable sources.

"Between 1978 and 1979, Mr Robinson, convenor at Longbridge, was behind 523 disputes at the then government-owned British Leyland plant, at the time Britain's largest factory."

The basis of a strong economy.

As in 1979 and a few other occasions presumably?

In 1976 Britain borrowed $3.9Bn from the IMF as a result of a sterling crisis and was required as a condition to cut public expenditure and adopt targets for money supply. It also led to the abandonment of full employment policies. In 1979, the incomes policy finally collapsed, essentially leading to the demise of the Callaghan government.

None of this strikes me as a particularly pretty picture.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nope - never touch the stuff.

Indeed they were. Edward Heath saw to that. Pity two idiots called Callaham and Wilson messed everything up big time.

So did I. But it had to be a German one as the British built ones were a joke. TR7s used to break down before you'd driven them out of the showroom because the idiots building them used to leave bits off.

Reply to
G&M

No. Who are communists? name them?

Gormley was a top union man and called miners strikes. he should know.

And? I hear no mention of the pillock management who provoked them. Like the one they provoked in Liverpool when the TR7 was not selling well in the US market. They had 1000s of cars lined up at unsold. So a strike they had to have and provoked one. The unions resisted the bate for a long time until unwarranted sackings occurred.

Read it again.

Wilson inherited Heaths "I will cut prices at a stoke" economy. In a 3 year period priced had never risen so much under Teddy. Once again labour inherited an economic shambles.

Nonsense. There was no economic collapse at all.

The Callaghan government going was a lying conspiracy by the right wing press, which was about 90% of it. "Labour isn't working" the Tories said relating to the unemployment at the time. Then they took hold and tripled it "at a stroke".

Because you look at right wing press pictures which are doctored.

Reply to
IMM

You are a brainwashed saddo.

< snip garbage >
Reply to
IMM

you have much more faith than I :)

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I still remember the surprise of getting bit by the earth wire.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

And the final inspection by the factory was? Or dealer pre sale check?

Both of them out to make every last penny in profit regardless - but happy to blame any faults on some worker.

No assembly method is ever 100% perfect - even from those hard working far east factories where unions are unheard of. So if faulty product reaches the 'shelves' look elsewhere for the real reason.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)