Bloody Woodchip!!!

I have just spent over a day removing Woodchip wallpaper from the upper half of my Mums bathroom, not a big room at all. It was a b*****d to get off! I have done it now but in case I have to remove anymore does anybody have any tips. I used a steamer, scored the paper, used sharp scrapers, etc. etc. and it still took an age to get it off. Why does this paper stick like s**t to a blanket? Whoever invented it should be made to go and remove it from all the walls it is stuck to. I have told my Mum if she wants anymore decorating doing it had better not involve removing woodchip!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Why didn't she just paint it?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Woodchip is marvellous stuff. It covers a multitude of minor surface cracks, blemishes and general unevenness. A remarkablly cheap and easy to use product. I papered the whole house with it, then painted it with Homebase matt white emulsion. Looked very 'modern'.

MM

Reply to
MM

Do you still wear flares, a pink neckerchief and does your house kinda resemble the interior of the Brady Bunch's film set?

Reply to
RedOnRed

What's Brady Bunch?

You've obviously lived a different life from mine...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It was a cheesey American TV series about a family called the Bradys (funnily enough) made in the seventies and more recently revamped into a couple of dire films.

The recent films outrageously turned the whole thing on its head by portraying the family in modern day America but stuck in a 70's way of life.

Hey baby, I guess you're just not a happening groovey chick. Get with it hot stuff.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Well, it takes all sorts to entertain some folks ... :-)

Gosh, those are old fashioned words!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

As part of a bathroom/toilet refurb she wants tiling floor to ceiling.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

And you're doing it?

LOL!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Run a tiger claw over the walls and them get plenty of steam in the room for about an hour. You will find that the paper will very nearly fall off.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If the woodchip was well and truly solid I've have tiled on top of it. After all, it's no different from the facing on plasterboard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought tigers were a protected species?

MM

Reply to
MM

Your point being?? I have refurbed more bathroom, toilets, kitchens, (including tiling!!) than I care to think about as this is the way I make my living, but I have NEVER had cause to remove woodchip wallpaper until today Please DO NOT make uneducated assumptions from a question asked by somebody who is merely asking for advice or opinions. Maybe I should have included an attachment of one of my business cards or letterheads at the bottom of the question to avoid any confusion or sarcasm. As my Gran used to say "If you cannot say anything nice then say nothing".

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

So tile over it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

With ordinary wallpaper paste a steamer should strip it without problem.

In my old house they had stuck the woodchip with PVA glue which made it almost impossible to lift. Using a steamer would lift not only the paper but the skim coat plaster.

As it's in the bathroom I wonder if that is what has happened in this instance?

The only advice is care and elbow grease!

Reply to
mikes

I apologise, because I seem to have annoyed you, I didn't mean to. I didn't use bad language, as you felt the need to in your frustration, because I don't like causing offence..

I'm sorry, honestly, I wasn't being nasty. I wondered why your mum wasn't doing it herself. It seems to be a big change from woodchip to complete tiling.

I've had to remove woodchip paper, in my teens my boy friend and I earned a living by stripping wallpaper - a job which some people even in those days (the late 50s) were reluctant to do themselves. It was a niche market before the term had been invented. In those days we had a bucket of water and a wallpaper stripper, it was before the days of chemicals and technology. I've never had the need to remove woodchip since but I suppose I assumed that it would be easier than some of the heavily embossed and painted wallcoverings we removed.

In my opinion woodchip is a good, versatile finish for walls simply because it doesn't peel off easily and it can be painted with any finish. It's far better than painted plaster. We have it in several rooms, we don't notice that it's woodchip (but obviously don't mind it) and it's painted in flat colours, satin or gloss according to the room's purpose. Those which need washing have a very durable gloss finish. If we feel the need for a change (we rarely do, which is why we chose something inoffensive in the beginning) we can paint in a different colour or design our own patterns. We don't like patterns.

You make your living by supplying people's wants. That's fine, so do we (nobody NEEDS tiled bathrooms or bone needles!) but there are simpler means to an end. Well painted woodchip is good and cheap and, as you've discovered, more permanent than tiling :-)

Once again, I'm very sorry to have roused your feelings and I sincerely hope that you will accept that it wasn't intended as rudeness. If I'd intended being nasty there'd have been no doubt ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary, you OK baby? Speak to me?

There's some very over reactive, spikey and abrasive people in here that use the slightest excuse to be confrontational.

Reply to
RedOnRed

It's true. They're a protected species throughout the world.

Unless of course you want to use one for DIY.

Reply to
RedOnRed

I'm fine, thanks, firing on all cylinders!

I know but I don't like to upset folk unintentionally. When I do I admit it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Which just goes to show, doesn't it. If there is one thing I detest more than patterned wallpaper, it's woodchip. And if there's one thing that I detest even more than woodchip, it's painted woodchip. In every house I have ever lived in, I have painstakingly removed all wallpaper and reverted to smooth painted plaster, because that's what I like :-)

Oh well, to each their own. It's a pity that in this case, my own means that I get all the hard work! (Steamer, stripper, sugar soap to remove the old paste... yuck. Lucky you, Mary...)

Reply to
Tony Eva