Bloody snow

Yet 50 ish miles away to your East we have reasonable amount with several roads closed. Not that unusual for winter but normally the end of Feb not the end of March...

I haven't been up the B6277 towards Middleton-in-Teesdale but I've heard comments from different people that the drifts are quite spectacular.

Today has been the 5th consecutive ice day with a max of -1.3 C.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Strange, but true ...

Reply to
geoff

50 ish miles to my East is just about Dogger Bank ;-)

Quite.

Reminder to Frank not to chance going to Barnard Castle on Tuesday as sort of planned... Yeah I know it's not quite as exposed as M-i-T but I think I'll just stop at home.

Have an "ice day". HTH.

Yesterday afternoon when I took the dog for a walk a bright yellow something appeared in the sky and it became tolerably warm for half an hour or so. I was down by the riverside, (near Screwfix, just to keep things on topic!) sheltered from the wind.

Don't forget that the clocks "Spring forward" next weekend, so we should be back to normal; global warming and all that... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On Sunday 24 March 2013 21:13 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'd be going for the shovel at that point ;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

ARW :

Same around here (Cheshire), but the notable thing is that they're not soft fluffy piles of snow like most drifts. They're *solid*, more like sand dunes. I had to climb over a lot of them when out for a walk yesterday, and from one of them I could look *down* on a completely embedded Land Rover.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

When I worra lad, I just used to *set* *off* an hour earlier to have a chance to get in.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I hope you are not in Boosbeck:-)

Reply to
ARW

You must really hate this snow:-)

Reply to
ARW

can't they use a pressure washer to tunnel out? (once the beers finished naturally...)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I trust you took the opportunity to urinate on it?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

:-)))

Reply to
ARW

My childhood was spent half way up the hill to Castle Hill, just outside Huddersfield. We would regularly see JCBs clearing the turning circle for the bus, which never seemed to stop running despite 1 in 8 hills to negotiate. Snow ploughs would get stuck outside our house, reverse down the hill and then take a run at the snow. They always got through.

There's nothing unprecedented about this weather, we've just all gone soft during a brief warm period. I miss it, living in the Soft South.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I remember a spectacular weekend in MiT in the early 80s. You couldn't tell where the dry stone walls were out on the hills until you fell through the snow into a void on the lee side.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It was like that up here in 2009/10 and 20010/11. It's slowly heading for the same this year ATM... Snowing again, it's hard to tell a lot of the time is the snow in the air is new snow or just blowing snow, but has got warm, only -1.9 C now. Today will be the 7th consecutive ice day if it stays below freezing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice