Bloody snow

I am not going to Stockport today to do that job - sorry Geoff:-)

Google maps says that the A628 has no delays even though it is closed.

Reply to
ARW

If it is closed then there are no delays ;-)

Reply to
Martin Brown

That is a common problem with Google Maps, they see traffic stood still or moving slowly even at rush hour and indicate congestion, but no traffic passing along a road, even when this is a large deviation from usual flows, and it is flagged as fully clear.

It needs more android phones online on the move and someone at Google with a clue.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Don't they just rely on the traffic flow monitors? No slow moving traffic hence no delays.

Reply to
alan

They use the navigation app on android phones. Small dataset + Poor processing = Shite results.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Something that I discovered when I asked on the newsgroup a few months ago - I spotted a minor road that had never shown up on Google traffic before.

Reply to
ARW

In message , ARW writes

'Kin lightweight

Reply to
geoff

BBC Radio Essex seem to be using a new to the job, medya studies graduate for their recent traffic reports. He seems to have his own interpretation about the sensors are saying. A normal slow moving part of the journey to work is reported as grid lock. Traffic travelling at

50mph (the speed limit with average speed cameras) is reported as slow. He alone is probably responsible for the jams on other roads when people avoid the main routes when he broadcasts his misinformation.
Reply to
alan

Well I have been today. It's going to cost you:-)

Reply to
ARW

On Sunday 24 March 2013 14:36 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Is there a "smilie" for "teeth suck"?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Have you seen the weather for the last few days? There is a inverse relationship between Geoffs wallet and the outside temperature.

Reply to
ARW

On Sunday 24 March 2013 19:05 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Waiting see if the school is closed tomorrow. We have no snow, but tonight still has time to put 5mm down...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I thought schools were closed tomorrow - for Easter? (Obviously possible local variation.)

Reply to
polygonum

Some of the snow drifts on the roads at the top of the village are taller than my van.

Reply to
ARW

Surrey schools close of Thursday.

Reply to
charles

Ours break up on Thursday.

The new head at the secondary school has a policy of not closing the school due to snow. You can guess how well that has gone down with some pupils...

There are enough teaching and support staff living within walking distance and so do a good half of the pupils. He just starts the school day an hour later to enable those having to travel a bit further a chance to get in.

We've had about half a dozen of these "snow" days this winter, so far.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Sunday 24 March 2013 19:34 polygonum wrote in uk.d-i-y:

4 more days to go here (SE England)...
Reply to
Tim Watts

On Sunday 24 March 2013 19:48 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Seen the pictures on the BBC!

I heard of a pub in Cumbria where the landlord and 12 punters are snowed in. They don't seem to be worried yet - although they said that the beer might run out come Tuesday...

Reply to
Tim Watts

In a crisis you could drink the lager.

Reply to
ARW

Nothing here at all in the cold and windy NE.

Reply to
Frank Erskine