Bloody plumbers

There's no such concept in the news protocol (you reply to articles, not subjects or threads), so it's a bit naughty of your client to allow you to do this.

That means different readers are likely do handle it differently, and not necessarily how you intended. In a threaded newsreader, it's a broken thread, or another thread which happens to have the same Subject: but might not be displayed with the original thread depending how it orders different threads.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

quote "I'd suggest you get yourself a compliant newsreader. Or learn how to use the one you have."

your headers...

From: "Dave Plowman (News)" Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y Subject: Bloody plumbers Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 09:22:56 +0100 Organization: None Lines: 10 Message-ID: NNTP-Posting-Host: Y4lVOo3N2sO6iMyMpcYdZA.user.speranza.aioe.org X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org User-Agent: Pluto/3.04e (RISC-OS/4.39) NewsHound/v1.50-32

Reply to
Mark

Pan is reading it as continuously threaded too. We can't all be wrong. ;-) 'gnight Tim... :-D

Reply to
mick

Wossat, wossat, umm? Eh? Oh ...

Reply to
Tim Streater

Snap.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Good point; I routinely do that myself. I have no such sticker on my own new boiler, though my guy yesterday mentioned, when I asked which inhibitor to buy, that his firm uses a 'different trade Sentinel product the same as X100' - in retrospect not sure what that meant, but he had no reason not to just say 'X100'...

(also, having filled my system yesterday using my X100, he didn't use the sticker)

David

Reply to
Lobster

No. All I need to do is highlight the Subject.

Yes. Not something I like.

But I wasn't referencing to any article - just the subject.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And? If your newsreader can't put this under the same subject heading...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've left the empty bottle on top of the header tank. The front of the boiler is a bit too visible (not in cupboard or anything).

Andy Another TB3 user with a new thread!

Reply to
Andy Champ

most people on here seem to have the sense to use a use a standards compliant newsreader, and know how to use it unlike you.

-
Reply to
Mark

Dear boy, I'm not the one complaining...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed, you are the person being complained about so do take the time and learn how to post a Followup to a newsgroup correctly.

-
Reply to
Mark

I'm the one complaining - about your collective bloody boring subthread about crap newsreaders itch bitch mumble grumble

Reply to
Tim Streater

Don't worry Tim... I've just been to pick up the replacement anode I orded on Friday (see original post in this thread) and since I'm astounded at how much bigger it is than the sorry original item I saw on Friday, once I've got the old one out again I'll post a photo of the 'before' and 'after', in order to bring the thread back on track! ;)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Not knowing anything about pressurised systems, what is it that requires them to have a sacrificial anode, while 'ordinary' ones not?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Steel tank?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Stout fellow! (Well, perhaps not literally hem hem hem).

Reply to
Tim Streater

What's a non-pressurised tank made of then? And if this is an issue of copper piping connected to an iron/steel tank, are there not isolators for that? I'm sure that when I had some pipework replaced at my house in the US, this issue came up and was solved by using a very short plastic section designed to attach to coper one side and iron the other.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Like the cold water ones fitted to most houses before plastic arrived?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They have an all over sacrifical anode, they are galvanised...

TBH I don't know what pressurised tanks are made of, copper is to soft. I've seen stainless steel mentioned, would that need an anode? There is still iron and water about...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice