Bloody plumbers

It shows up in the same thread on both Pluto - where it was posted from - and Thunderbird. In time of posting order.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , John Williamson escribió:

Probably threading by Subject: rather than References:.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Very odd - I'm using XP/Thunderbird 3.1.11 (for both this and the original post kicking off this thread) and on my system Dave's post has started a new thread... WTF??? Have I got settings wrong somewhere?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Indeed. My boiler was installed a couple of years ago by a different plumber from the same firm, which actually I have hitherto trusted and used (for my gas stuff) for a long time. On the log book he'd stated that Sentinel had been used and admittedly I took that at face value.

On reflection I now wish I'd run off a jar-full from a drain c*ck for a bit of diy analysis before yesterday :(

David

Reply to
Lobster

Can you chaps kindly take your boring sub-thread about newsreaders etc offline or at least retitle your subthread? I keep checking in look for juicy details of some plumbing disaster only to find zzzzzzz

Reply to
Tim Streater

No, there is no 'References' line in the Headers, so some (compliant) newsreaders cannot put it into the thread where it should have been. If there was a "reference' in the header, all newsreaders can thread it properly, as it is, some can, some can't.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

It looks fine here, through OE on XP.

Reply to
Steve Walker

En el artículo , Lobster escribió:

The plumber who fitted my new boiler peeled a label off the bottle of Sentinel and stuck it to the front of the boiler.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I recently got a member of a small local plumbing company in to do a small job - draining down the system and fitting TRVs to my radiators. I supplied the TRVs and the inhibitor; I was originally going to do it myself, but lacked time and also wanted to learn a couple of things. It all went basically OK and he was perfectly fine, except that

a) he asked *me* for a container to drain each radiator into. I was interested to see how they normally did it, but "mine's broken" (?!)

b) he couldn't get one valve off the old radiator with his universal allen key, and asked me if I had an allen key myself. He didn't seem to know that these were of a 'less than standard' size. We had to leave this rad in the end.

c) One radiator I had replaced a while ago but never properly connected up or commissioned. Turns out it needed a short (15mm or so) extension adapter, which I thought I had bought and fitted, but it turns out not so. He didn't offer to get hold of one of these - clearly not an item stocked in the van.

Clearly none of this amounts to anything like a disaster story, but given that this was otherwise a decently regarded local company with good 'front' (replies to emails and phone calls promptly, turns up on time, payment as discused, etc.) I was surprised at how the small things threw him. It's not as if he didn't know the scope of the job in the first place.

I think I probably translate the standards I aim at re. a customer in my day work, to those I expect from a tradesman. Perhaps this is unreasonable ... I dunno.

J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

I suspect that (like tin which I use) they allow threading by subject as well as message ID so cope with imperfect posters.

Reply to
tinnews

Of course. I wasn't replying to any particular post so just replied to the subject. If a newsreader can't cope with that it's badly designed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah. Strange use but explains it.

No ones software is broken.

Reply to
Adrian C

I use TB and it came up as a new thread...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As in started a new post and just typed the Subject yourself? That would explain it. The "correct" answer would have been for the reader to display it as a new thread that just happened to have the same subject. Many (most?) client these days just thread on subject and largely ignore the headers :-(

If you hit reply to any post then it should have added a header to show which article you were referencing - many clients don't these days :-(

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Ah well, changing the title of posts in this thread will make this appear as a new thread in readers that just use the subject line to make the connection.

Clients using the headers will show it as a changed subject under the main thread (assuming my client is working - it did when I compiled it 14 years ago :-))

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Not in TB 3.1.11 here...

Reply to
John Rumm

Which is a new post then - what most of us saw it seems.

Reply to
John Rumm

Still nicely threaded here...

(let's hope Tim has nodded off by now ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

That's because threading in TB 2 was somewhat broken (well the default settings were different). TB 3 now defaults to using message ids and references headers rather than subject lines. So 3 does it closer to the "correct" way.

John Rumm

FWIW Threading options may be set differently in Thunderbird depending on version.

TB 3.x defaults to mail.strict_threading = true TB 2.x defaulted to mail.strict_threading = false

'Strict-theading' is threading by Message-ID. If false, the client action is to thread using subject titles.

Reply to
Adrian C