Bloody foreign call centres

Spent 30 minutes chatting to a nice bloke in India who spoke perfect English and was very polite. Then he transferred me through to the Newcastle call centre to complete the transaction - I could not understand what she said:-).

Reply to
ARW

I have had that ...

caller: I'm calling from Seeeeeurge software me: sorry, who? caller: seeeaeaeaeurge, ye know?

repeat until penny drops

me: Oh you mean Sage? caller: yes seeeeeurge, I'm calling about your payroll software

Reply to
Andy Burns

You must have made that up! Nobody says "know" up here - it's "knaa" or "noah" if we're being polite to soft Southerners.

John M

Reply to
John Miller

You must have made that up! Nobody says "know" up here - it's "knaa" or "noah" if we're being polite to soft Southerners.

Isn't it wonderful that the Queens English is spoken by the Queen......In the South..... She must be soft then

Reply to
Nthkentman

That Shappi Khorsandi made me laugh;

"I'm going to India on holiday next week & I wanted to know what the weather was like. So I phoned my bank."

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ah damned cunning these Tyne and Wear folk you know.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But if a white male made that joke it would probably be racist.

I'm almost tempted to phone National Rail Enquiries for times and fares on the Venkatadri Express and see what happens.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Why?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

What is a "soft Southerner"?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Because some people are humourless and easily offended.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

All of them.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That's true, but it doesn't really answer my question.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Because the political correctness "industry" is monstrously hypocritical.

Reply to
Huge

A Pakistani friend of mine, who has made comment on similar matters in the past, would point out that Shappi is Iranian, hence she is from an Indian point of view a Westerner with more in common with Europe than India. Therefore comments she makes about India would be seen as being as offensive as if made by a white, male, comedian.

OTOH the same person thought that British racist jokes were very funny. Either because they showed the "comedian" to be ignorant or highlighted how clever the "paki" subject of the joke was.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I used to have the same problem when call centres were based in Northern Ireland. OTOH, I had no problems with the ones in Glasgow.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Most unhelpful, Our Steve. You'll have to be more specific.

Reply to
Tim Streater

When you bite their heads off, you find a soft centre that's runny.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

South of Watford Gap if you live in Yorkshire. South of Hadrians Wall if you live in Scotland.

Reply to
ARW

I see. So Northerners are made of wood, or some other material that goes "boing!" when you hit it?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Mmmm. Some logical inconsistency here. And what does "soft" refer to?

Reply to
Tim Streater