Blood stains

My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.

Reply to
Frederick Williams

'Vanish' worked for me, used as directed on the product. YMMV.

TOJ.

Reply to
The Other John

On Tuesday 19 March 2013 16:21 The Other John wrote in uk.d-i-y:

If it's residual iron staining, oxalic acid is the usual stuff (or in olden times, rubbing a rhubarb leaf in before washing).

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Frederick Williams writes

You'll never get it all out now, but Stain Devil rust remover might be worth a try.

Next time, rinse in COLD water with liquid hand soap to get the stain out, then wash as normal.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

For next time, soaking in cold salt water will take the blood out before washing.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Too late now, you've baked all that DNA evidence into the clothes.... your goin daaaahhn you slaaaaaag :)

Reply to
Gazz

Try a 4 day soak in a bucket with bio washing powder

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You now have a black pudding stain :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have used something called 'Vanish Oxi Action Crystal white' which contains > 30% of Sodium Carbonate Peroxyhydrate. I used that as directed and then cooked^W laundered the item. It had little effect.

Reply to
Frederick Williams

I'll look out for it when next I'm shopping.

Ah, next time! Why didn't you tell me beforehand? :-)

Reply to
Frederick Williams

What's left is the iron (probably in the form of rust now) from the hemoglobin in the blood, so anything that can get rust out is likely to work. Oxalic acid is a well know rust dissolver, but I would test it first on some inconspicuous area, in case it does something nasty to the fabric or dyes.

I have sometimes smeared some liquid soap on the stain before putting it in the wash, on the basis that the cold fill and the soap will work on it before the wash gets too hot. However, the longer the stain has been there, the longer it will need to soak, so that probably only works if it's still reasonably red.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

For fresh bloodstains, hydrogen peroxide works well (but check first on a hidden part). After the fizzing stops, rinse with cold water, followed by rubbing with plain bar soap (not detergent).

Reply to
S Viemeister

En el artículo , Frederick Williams escribió:

I'd assumed you were a serial killer, so there would be a next time :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Andrew Gabriel escribió:

That was my line of thinking, yes, though as you say it might bleach the cloth.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Watching my wife dispense various chemicals into our washing machine (for my underwear), I asked the question.

She said *soak blood stains in milk*. What impact this may have post washing is unknown.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Unfortunately my pyjama trousers are now torn to shreds and the shreds are blood stained still.

Reply to
Frederick Williams

In article , Frederick Williams writes

You're meant to take them off before using the angle grinder.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Does anyone - other than kids - wear pyjamas?

Reply to
ARW

En el artículo , ARW escribió:

I don't. Sleep bollocko.