Blockwork Wall

I have planning permission to build on top of my flat roof garage.

The next stage is submission to Building Control. The existing garage has 50mm cavity walls. I am proposing to have this extension done entirely in thermalite blocks. However a rockwall filled cavity of 50mm doesn't seem to meet the insulation requiements. Do you think that Building Control would let me step the inner wall to provide a wider cavity?

The roof will be a conventional pitched and hipped roof with pantiles. With thermalite blocks there is a trade off with strength and insulation. i.e., weakest block has highest insulation. How do I chose which grade I need for strength?

Thanks

mark

Reply to
mark

Just ask them informally before you submit the application. Doesn't sound a very stable structure, however. How much "step" were you thinking of? Can't you use 50mm Kingspan instead, which is a much better insulator?

On a separate note - do you know if the garage has adequate foundations for the extra storey? That could be a show-stopper for Building Control otherwise... if you don't have any form of 'proof' they may require you to excavate a test hole so they can see the footings.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The footings have been seen by BC and approved. Didn't realise that Kingspan can be used in cavities.

mark

Reply to
mark