Blocking up doorway

Hi there,

I'm trying to block up an old doorway and plaster over it.

Rather than remove the door itself and fit a stud partition and plasterboard - could I just screw the door in place, seal the surface and skim plaster over it?

Would a genorous coat of PVA over the paint finish of the door be a suficient key for the plaster and would I need to tape over the are where the door frame meets the existing wall to prevent the plaster from cracking?

TIA!

Simon

Reply to
Simon

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 07:11:22 -0700, Simon mused:

Wind up?

/speechless

Reply to
Lurch

Surely 'Cowboy'

Reply to
George

This is a waste of effort.

If you remove the architrave and door handle, and then paper over the entirety with wallpaper, the paper will tighten up as it dries, leaving a flat surface. You should use a heavy duty lining paper, so that the result is strong enough to resist the occasional ding. However, it's probably best to position furniture over the area to reduce the risk of damage.

Reply to
hulk hogan

Ummm, what about the hinges?

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Hang a picture over the top hinge and put a setee in front of the bottom one :-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You could, but if it's an old door it's probably worth more than a sheet of plasterboard, so if you remove the door and ebay it you could make a profit.

Owain

Reply to
Owain