blocked toilet! Andrex wet wipes - the culprit! How to unblock?

no thankyou!

if it says not for bogs its not for bogs.

wouldnt conc H2SO4 from plumbers merchant do it?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

do you not find the wire coathanger a far more suitable peice of kit? I would have thought the curtain wire was a bit wobbley and unstable... I see the drains in the MrP household have been tested a few times then.... Since my big son left home, we no longer suffer from this problem...

Reply to
Sheila

3 litre soft drinks bottle. The ultimate in DIY.
Reply to
Phil Anthropist

|On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 19:34:15 GMT, John wrote: | |>> Get your hand down there and round the u bend |> |> Why do people assume the blockage is just around the bend - it could be |> yards away. | |'cause in most cases that is where the blockage is... | |I find that a 3/4 of a bucket of water poured moderately quickly (

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

| snipped-for-privacy@mac.com wrote: |> I rent. |> I'd be to embarrased to get my landlord to fix it. I had the runs |> yesterday and it's not a pretty site | |I know they're horrible and disgusting but I think you'll just have to |get your hand round the bend and remove the wet wipes. Why did you put |them down the toilet anyway? | |As for the poo, it's only what came out of your botty.

This is a cultural thing, poo/faeces consists mainly of dead bacteria and quite a few live ones. Some of these are dangerous, and on some occasions lethal. So cultures throughout the world consider it to be disgusting, so to be avoided where possible.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

In message , snipped-for-privacy@mac.com wrote

The preferred method used by the cleaners at work is to use a mop as a plunger with a dustbin bag tied around the head (to keep it clean).

Reply to
Alan

If they're the same as generic baby wipes they're cloth rather than paper and don't break up in water - or at least not in a reasonable time. Neighbour with new baby had the same problem and it was the U bend where the external drain pipe went underground which blocked. The guy clearing the drain removed 'about a carrier bag full' of them...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

its not a sink plunger you want ,but a drain rod with a 4 inch plunger on the end of it,B&Q, WICKS all sell them. good luck

Reply to
badwolf

Of course, whilst the OP was sitting on the toilet, he could have read the packet of the wipes, which clearly (at least on the packet I have, it does) that you should not flush down the toilet, but dispose of in the bin.

House behind me (though their drain runs(sic) through my land) flushed a load of wipes down their toilet. There were not pleased when I returned them, along with the bill for my time and damage to my property.

Best DIY/Cheap solution appears to be to get your arm in a bin bag, then remove the wipes from the toilet, including around the bend, and use flexible netting wire stuff to poke even further.

Reply to
Ian Cornish

UPDATE - the water level (slowly) went down to NORMAL levels.

Man, I'm gonnga have to pay dynorod to come out...

Reply to
john.islington

The message from "Phil Anthropist" contains these words:

Trouble is he's already "done it himself" and it's dealing with the doings that's causing the trouble.

Reply to
Guy King

| | snipped-for-privacy@mac.com wrote: |> I rent. |>

|> I'd be to embarrased to get my landlord to fix it. I had the runs |> yesterday and it's not a pretty site |>

|> ugh |>

|> So do I pay a huge call out fee & get it unblocked? |>

|> For a totally DISGUSTING picture of the problem, click here: |>

|> (WARNING: PICTURE OF DISGUSTING TOILET. DO NOT VIEW!) |>

|||UPDATE - the water level (slowly) went down to NORMAL levels. | |Man, I'm gonnga have to pay dynorod to come out...

Not dynorod they charge the earth.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Ian Cornish typed

OP specifies Andrex. My packet of Andrex Moistened states they are 'flushable'.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

I'd feel a lot safer using a rubble bag meself!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That depends on the degree of one's desperation and embarrassment. :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

OK - this is what gets me - the "sanitary" product mfrs all come up with the latest greatest wet this, lotion that, soothing the other papery products for use on yer arse - and all they seem to do is block the sodding bog and drains behind it. It wouldn't suprise me if Andrex wasn't actually a division of Dyno Rod these days ;-)

IME this stuff all causes blockages - even on a nice shiny new crapper. This is the reason one sticks to normal loo paper - that and the fact that a gentle shove with yer arm in a binbag normally clears any blockages!!

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

My mate works for Monument Tools and knows a thing or two about drains. He quotes a figure of 90% of domestic blockages down to paper based products. String tailed white mice being the worst culprit.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We have "private drains" (a Klargester followed by a holding tank, pumped into a drainage field). You don't put anything down the toilet in this house other than what's been through a human being, and toilet paper. Having had to haul the pump out and fix it some three or four times in

14 years, I don't care if it says "Flushable" or not.
Reply to
Huge

What's the point of non-flushable bog roll? 60 years ago all newspaper was flushable.

Reply to
<me9

|IME this stuff all causes blockages - even on a nice shiny new crapper. |This is the reason one sticks to normal loo paper - that and the fact that a |gentle shove with yer arm in a binbag normally clears any blockages!!

There is a spec somewhere which ensures that Bog paper is not *too* strong and thus block up the loo. The strongest we can find is Lidl Luxury, which has not blocked our loo, and even flushes away with the low flow button on our new bog cistern.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop