Blocked kitchen sink

Hey folks :)

Having a right ole nightmare with the kitchen sink tonight. Given up till morning as well my plunger arm is knackered :)

Basically theres some type of blockage on the kitchen sink. I've plunged i for over half an hour, also used a drain snake which is over

5ft down it moving it up and down and nothing.

I've disconnected the unben and there was nothing there, being and idiot I didn't drain the sink so guess which not a plumber person got soaked!

So yeah the U bend was clear.

So I'm guessing the blockage is somewhere deeper in the pipe.

I refuse to call a plumber in this time as I've come so far lol.

Also to add I did the drain snake form into the pipe after the u bend was removed and removed quite a bit of rubbish.

Plunged again for a while and nothing.

Advice welcomed.

Reply to
soulman_uk

soulman_uk brought next idea :

All you can do is follow the pipe out to where it eventually is supposed to drain. Find which manhole it drains to and see if that is backed up or flowing freely.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Are you blocking the overflow when you plunge?? If not then plunging will do no good. If you are still blocked, buy some caustic soda and follow the instructions on the pack. keep on plunging!!

Good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yeah blocked the overflow.

Ok will pick up some caustic soda in the morning and plung away :)

Appreciate the advice guys!

Also I'm just using a normal plunger would one of those sort of cyclinder ones be better as your pushing more air down ? (something like this Item number: 350141889075 on ebay)

My wife said try that Mr Muscle sink unblocker .. last resort! lol.

Reply to
soulman_uk

Try dumping a big bottle of thinck bleach down the sink (reattach the U bend first) and leave until morning.

Reply to
pete

Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

Sounds to me like caustic soda will help.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Did you try putting some detergent down the plughole followed by lots of boiling water?

Reply to
Matty F

"soulman_uk" wrote

Are any other water users slow to drain/clear? If you have a toilet close by, does it flush freely or does the bowl take longer than normal to discharge? If you find other users are having problems too, then (as suggested by others) the problem may well be further downstream with blocked drains. Be careful using other appliances that connect into the sink waste if there are any, as these may well overflow.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Could be fat, or should I say obesity :) Perhaps Hot water might shift it.

When I had my first blocked sink it was a mixture of fat and tea leaves. On my first plunging effort I didn't cover up the overflow, so the tea leaves + shot up through overflow over me. Could have been worse if I'd been using strong chemicals.

Reply to
whisky-dave

A longer drain snake? Failing that whilst the U-bend is off, stick a hosepipe wrapped in a wet cloth down the end of the pipe and then turn on the hose. Very effective at shifting stuff. Though the usual caveats about burst joints apply.

Reply to
matthelliwell

If you do this, make sure that your washing machine outlet isn't commoned with the sink outlet - and that the blockage is further down than where they join :-(

Reply to
pete

If the overflow is a plastic flexi tube going to the overflow opening then I would think it could be blown off with a plunger action.

Reply to
John